The rampage continues: Tamiya new 109 G-6

Started by Pedro L. Rocha · 67 · 4 years ago · 1/48, 109 G-6, Tamiya
  • Profile Photo
    Louis Gardner said 5 years, 7 months ago:

Thanks for the updates Pedro.
    I am very impressed with how your builds always look so fantastic ! I see exactly what you mean about the joint between parts not falling on a panel line. That is rather annoying, and you would think that this is something they could have avoided.

Were the round or raised "sink marks" on the cockpit sidewalls in a visible location once the cockpit was assembled ? or were they hidden by the rear bulkhead and seat ?

I agree with your statement about future Gustav releases... I was also thinking this was planned for the future too. There was a small panel that needed filling on the fuselage also if my memory serves me correctly. Possibly for the same reasons.

Were you thinking about building a "Gunboat" Gustav ?

Your painting looks great, and I'll be watching for the next installment...

• Profile Photo
    Pedro L. Rocha said 5 years, 7 months ago:

Hi Louis!

First of all yes, this will be a gunboat 109. After several nights thinking about what to build and after sweeping my entire decal stash there was only one plane that fit the bill of matching the factor of having 2 engine cowlings, wich meant 2 identical squadron markings, plus being enough interesting for me to build it (this particular plane I never saw in a model or in a decal sheet).

The give away about future versions is exactly what you point out, several inspection panels and hatches are in need to be filled in, as per instructions call out. Reminds me the Hasegawa way :-).

About the minor issues of sink marks, not all are located where they became hidden during assembly. At least a couple of these remain visible in the cockpit and several in the radiators parts.

That said, it is NOT my purpose to trash this kit, au contraire. It is a ingenious model, with some better than most detailed areas and it builds like one expects from Tamiya, but one also cannot forget the price tag just to find such nagging issues that could be easily avoided in my opinion.

• Profile Photo
    Pedro L. Rocha said 5 years, 7 months ago:

Another small update, the build is going fast and smooth, the engineering is indeed clever and simple, and for the most parts without compromising details. In fact, in some areas, this kit surpasses all. Take for instance the wing radiators which allows the builder to make them in one of the 3 possible configurations which the real plane had. And this only requires a very small cut of inserts or not, depending which pose one chooses.

The resin wingtips are from quickboost, they are simple drop fit replacements of the kit identical part. The only difference (and reason why I got them here) are the tip lights, which come in clear plastic unlike the kit.

The only upcoming step which I don't like the way it demands us to follow are the UC legs, called to be assembled as first sequencial step to close the bottom wing and it's surfaces. This forces me to move the kit while painting the camo scheme with 2 UC legs pointing out... Oh dear let's see if I manage to do that without harm

3 attached images. Click to enlarge.

• Profile Photo
    Louis Gardner said 5 years, 7 months ago:

This one is really starting to look like a 109 now that you have the wings and tail surfaces on it. I'll keep that in mind about the wing tip lights and the radiators.

I understand about the landing gear legs. I accidentally broke off one on a Tamiya Spitfire a little while ago. I simply had it snapped in position to see how it fit... then promptly dropped the model, snapping the leg off... not too happy afterwards.

I wonder if you could press fit the under carriage for painting, then remove it afterwards ? (just don't drop it like I did my Spitfire).

Be careful... and thanks for the update.

Looks great !

• Profile Photo
    david leigh-smith said 5 years, 7 months ago:

All looking great, Pedro. Those U/C construction designs on the Tam’s are a pain. As Louis said, I’d push fit then remove for painting.

Rampage on, dude.

• Profile Photo
    Pedro L. Rocha said 5 years, 6 months ago:

Fellas, thank you for the comments and wisdom. Unfortunately it did not occur to me to press fit the UC and the remaining panels that overlap them before I read both your comments. They are steady glued and now have to mask them before painting the lower part of the 109. Lesson learned 🙂

The engine assembly goes fast even if I managed to lose one small piece that replicates a lower plumbing. If It doesn't show up till tomorrow it's lost to the infernal house maid vacuum cleaner that arrives the very next day.

Even without any magnet on the fit of the parts is precise and allows handling. Here are 2 photos of the engine area.

3 attached images. Click to enlarge.

• Profile Photo

It's been awhile since I last updated this WIP, so here is my current status on the build: fuselage and cockpit done, wings and UC also done, spent some time detailing the engine. Now since the kit allows us to have both the closed and open engine cowling the amount of details one can add is limited since some cables just can't be there if you decided to go from the opened to closed engine compartment. Still some might do and it sure adds realism to a very good plastic basis.

I'll probably have that area wrapped up this coming week and then proceed to the fun part--Paiting!

Oh, it's a Tamiya alright but still has its small faults (or are they mine?!) like the wing radiator gap 🙂

6 attached images. Click to enlarge.

• Profile Photo
    Louis Gardner said 5 years, 6 months ago:

Thanks for the updates Pedro.

I especially like how you have detail painted the engine and the engine WN decal is like icing on the cake ! It makes sense about the extra wires getting in the way of the optional cowling.

Sometimes things just happen. The under wing radiator could be one of those things. I'll keep an eye out for this one as I build up mine.

Thanks again for everything.

• Profile Photo

Thank you Louis!
    The decals are a very nice touch, something no other maker included as far as I know,
    The added wiring and plumbing is a matter of personal taste, but when you get such a nice cast engine I’d say most of us will try to beef it up a bit that way.
    The wing radiator gap is quite surely my fault, but it proves that even in a shake ‘n bake kit, like most people regard Tamiya stuff, you can goof.
    Glad to hear from you, take care

• Profile Photo
    Pedro L. Rocha said 5 years, 5 months ago:

Got carried away adding details to the engine to an extent that it is now impossible for me to inter change between open and closed engine cowling... Oh well, always a good excuse to buy a second box and build a fully closed in-flight model. Here's how it's going. As a bonus can anyone guess to which plane belongs the bathtub on the last photo?

4 attached images. Click to enlarge.

• Profile Photo
    Stellan Schroeder Englund said 5 years, 5 months ago:

Sweet looking engine. You have done a great job. How much extra detailing have you added not found in the kit? Hope to afford a Tamiya G-6 some day.

• Profile Photo

Stellan, I’m adding all sort of plumbing and wires to it. The “”raw” plastic itself makes a very accurate representation on the engine main components, but adding those minor ones really gets the engine up one leve. No need for aftermarket in my opinion. And yes, it is a very expensive kit here in Europe 🙁

• Profile Photo
    Louis Gardner said 5 years, 5 months ago:

This looks great Pedro ! The extra wiring takes it over the top. Too bad you can't close the cowling now, but hey... it's an excuse to build another 109. Perfect !

I'm going to take a crack at the cockpit "bath tub" question and guess its for a Dornier Do-335.

I see it has rails similar to those used on an ejection seat. The dark gray color gives me a hint that it's German and from WW2.

Just guessing. Whatever it is it looks great.

• Profile Photo
    Jeff Bailey said 5 years, 5 months ago:

Your engine details are GREAT, Pedro! This build is coming along very nicely!

• Profile Photo

“I’m going to take a crack at the cockpit “bath tub” question and guess its for a Dornier Do-335“- You have some excellent deductive skills Sherlock, I mean Louis! You’re absolutely right, it is the Aires resin to replace the cockpit of another Tamiya best seller, the Do 335. It started as a break away from the stretched sprue onslaught around the 109 engine and found it so good that I’ll probably finish this long time stashed away kit in a few weeks.
    Thanks for the feedback!