The rampage continues: Tamiya new 109 G-6

Started by Pedro L. Rocha · 67 · 4 years ago · 1/48, 109 G-6, Tamiya
  • Profile Photo
    Pedro L. Rocha said 4 years, 10 months ago:

Hi Louis!

Thanks for the feedback my friend. Let me tell you a secret, that “striped” motltling, is deceivingly easy. I had to redo my first try at it, something i don’t recall doing before in past mottling painting 😉

About the fit of parts and construction, well it’s the best engineered 1/48 kit I made so far, and so in my opinion the peak of Tamiya shake ‘n bake tradition. You can’t miss the wing dihedral, U/C leg stance and so on...all falls into place without effort, and sometimes without glue (wing cannon gondola for instance).

The only details that need some care are the air scoops that come solid and so I drilled the openings, and some inspection hatches at the lower wings that need filling (perhaps a sign that Tamiya is considering a later version of the Gustav...G-10?).

Again, the long time seen on this thread doesn’t match the actual time I spent building the kit, I would say any normal modeler can build it in a couple of weeks or so.

Oh, and another thing, I used the kit decals for the underwing crosses and they behaved as good as any other good AM decals. Gonna try some of the stencils later today but so far these are not the old thick film decals Tamiya had in most of its kits.

• Profile Photo

The final details being add start to give the kit a distinct Gustav look. Still some work around the port side of the engine, plus a couple of stencils and weathering before sealing up. Although I purchased some AM exhaust pipes (hollow ones give that those supplied in the box are not) but managed to loose them. I recall painting them but have no clue as to their whereabouts! Dang I always manage to lose something in each build... after thinking if I should re-purchased the part I decided to use the kit part and try some “tromp d’oeil” painting, and try to fool the eye at the first glance. Thanks for watching

5 attached images. Click to enlarge.

• Profile Photo
    Michel Verschuere said 4 years, 10 months ago:

Great build Pedro, thanks for sharing it wilt us. Don't mind the long build time, it really looks great for that time and effort!

• Profile Photo
    Erik Gjørup said 4 years, 10 months ago:

The skills you have for painting... - awesome! Hope to get near that one day. I do have the Tamiya in store as well and really looking forward to begin on that one - thanx for your build series, it is inspiring and well described!

• Profile Photo
    david leigh-smith said 4 years, 10 months ago:

That engine block is superb. Overall, for my money you have really hit the Goldilocks Zone with this build. The detail is excellent, the paintwork is a nice fusion of artistry and technique, and the ‘scale look’ is spot on. It’s funny how some projects can be technically perfect but just lack something, yet others can be beautiful despite flaws.

This Gustav (and the general thread, with trademark iModeler humour and assistance in equal measure) just pushes all my buttons.

Thanks for taking the time to share all this, Pedro.

• Profile Photo

Thank you all for the encouraging comments, what a great group of talented modellers we have here.
    David, i’m picking up your line and say there is no perfect project, just ask everyone around 😉 speaking for myself, I always look at a completed model and think “ darn, this & that could be better”, but then again that’s what drives for raising up our own standards I guess. Again thank you Michael, Erik and David for the kind words...now lunch and back to the workbench

• Profile Photo
    George R Blair Jr said 4 years, 10 months ago:

I hate to disagree, but I don't see much that could look better on your build. It certainly gives me the mark to aspire to. Be sure to post the pictures of your finished plane.

• Profile Photo

I certainly will post the complete model on the Highlights George. But as you know, we are always our own fierce critics, so yes there’s that inevitable sensation when one looks at the finish model and thinks “ Why didn’t I noticed this”, or ”should have done that” etc, etc. Nothing that steals my sleep though 😉

• Profile Photo

Self criticism drives us to improve. Without it, arrogance is around the corner!

• Profile Photo

Well put Michel!

• Profile Photo

One final update before the completion of the model.
    Spent a dozen hours at least between engine parts and weathering, but still not completely resolved with both. Took some zoomed photos but the iPad lens suck, because pixels became quite noticeable. Need to use the camera next time I want to take some close up

7 attached images. Click to enlarge.

• Profile Photo

Thanks for the update Pedro! A real labor of love on this Me-109, the engine bay looks like the real thing!

• Profile Photo
    Greg Kittinger said 4 years, 10 months ago:

Really is beautiful - absolutely love the paint, detail and weathering - all spot-on! Excellent.

• Profile Photo

Michel, still working on the engine, adding more pipes...crazy stuff really.
    Thank you guys for the warm feedback

• Profile Photo
    Louis Gardner said 4 years, 10 months ago:

Amazing work done so far !