Trio of Hudsons in 1/72

Started by George R Blair Jr · 355 · 4 months ago · 1/72, 3D printing, Italeri, Lockheed Hudson, MPM, Revell
  • Profile Photo
    George R Blair Jr said 4 months, 3 weeks ago:

Thanks, Spiros (@fiveten), Erik (@airbum), Carl (@clipper), and John (@johnb). I think the desert weathering looks pretty good, but I tend to have a heavy hand sometimes when I do the weathering. The climate was very dusty in Somalia when I was there, and the planes tended to get fairly dusty. Thanks for the observations on the weathering applied to the various planes.

• Profile Photo

I spent most of the day helping my son-in-law hang sheetrock in a two-car garage. I spent most of my free time doing some more weathering to my desert Hudson using artist oils. I am having a lot of fun seeing the different effects I can get. I added some Future to the outside of the windows using a brush. The Hudson with the standard camouflage from the Dutch Squadron also has some interesting things in its camouflage. In several of the photos I have found with planes from this squadron, I noticed that the squadron codes are often painted over the cabin windows. On some of the planes, the codes do not cover the glass, but stop and start at the edges of the window. On other planes, the codes are actually painting directly over the glass. On the plane I am modeling, the codes do not actually cover the glass of the windows. I need to dig out a new Xacto blade so I can score the decal edges over the masks. Hopefully they will pull off cleanly without messing up the decal. Hopefully more tomorrow. Cheers.

12 attached images. Click to enlarge.

• Profile Photo
    Spiros Pendedekas said 4 months, 3 weeks ago:

Awesome job so far, my friend @gblair! Interesting to discover all these little details on actual planes.

• Profile Photo
    John vd Biggelaar said 4 months, 3 weeks ago:

Very nice work on the weathering, George @gblair
    With a new Xacto blade you will definitely succeed in cutting the decals.

• Profile Photo

Thanks, Spiros (@fiveten) and John (@johnb). These have been fun to paint and weather. I would really like to build this plane in 1/48, but the 1/48 kit is long gone.

• Profile Photo
    George R Blair Jr said 4 months, 2 weeks ago:

More family stuff today, but I had a few minutes to get rid of some more small tasks. I added all of the navigation lights to the planes, as well as the tail wheels. I also added the turret to the one plane that has a turret. I still need to add the antenna wires, which is always fun. I hope to get more time later to finish up, but this is it for now. Cheers everyone.

3 attached images. Click to enlarge.

• Profile Photo
    John vd Biggelaar said 4 months, 2 weeks ago:

Nearly there, George @gblair
    Very nice work on those final bits.

• Profile Photo

Thanks, John (@johnb). Not a lot of time to work right now. Our anniversary is the 31st, so probably no time today.

• Profile Photo
    John vd Biggelaar said 4 months, 2 weeks ago:

Congratulations, George @gblair
    Better to spent some time on the anniversary, a very important happening.
    Happy New Year.

• Profile Photo
    Louis Gardner said 4 months, 2 weeks ago:

Congratulations are definitely in order. May you enjoy many more.

I’m always impressed with your work and these latest posts are very interesting. I have heard of the boundary layer before, but I never realized how it actually worked.

Your explanation to me was very interesting and I appreciate your insight. The desert plane looks spot on too.

As far as hanging sheet rock, I don’t envy you there. It’s a two man job. Many years ago I hung 12 feet long sheets on a ceiling. That was no fun. The worst part was that we had to carry it all the way up to the 12th floor where the work was needed. I was in high school at the time and I helped to carry the brand new packages that were basically two boards that were taped together on the ends.

The guy who I was working with was always leading the way up the stairs. I discovered why after several trips up the stairs. The lower end was heavier ( at least that’s how it felt) when I was carrying it.

So then we alternated who lead the trip up the stairs afterwards. It was interesting trying to maneuver the long sheets around the corners of the stairwell.

This was my summer time job one year as a teenager. I actually learned a lot from this adventure. It still helps me to this very day.

Once again happy anniversary and may you have a wonderful New Year too.

I’m looking forward to your next installment. Keep it going my friend.

• Profile Photo
    Spiros Pendedekas said 4 months, 2 weeks ago:

Nearly there and looking super, my friend @gblair!
    Happy Anniversary and Happy New Year!

• Profile Photo
    Eric Berg said 4 months, 2 weeks ago:

After being away from my computer for the last month, I finally caught up with your Hudsons and they are looking terrific, George @gblair. Very inspiring. Be careful hanging that rock. Don't throw your back out of wack!

Happy New Year!

• Profile Photo

Thanks,
    Spiros (@fiveten)
    John (@johnb)
    Louis (@lgardner)
    Eric (@eb801)
    42nd anniversary tonight. Doesn't seem that long. All good years. We got married on the 31st because we wanted a date I would remember, and we were both Air Force pilots and it was the only time we could both get leave.

Spent the afternoon finishing the sheetrock in my son-in-law's garage. I finally convinced him to rent a jack that is designed to raise the sheetrock to the ceiling and hold it in place while we do the wallboard screws. Did the entire ceiling in two hours thanks to modern tools. My granddaughter was helping by handing us screws when we needed them. Not bad for a three-year-old. I managed to smack my finger with a hammer, which is going to make finished the Hudsons interesting.

I had a few minutes this morning, so I wanted to try rigging the antennas on one of the Hudsons. I have dreading the antennas since I started. One antenna from each tail, meeting at a tall post just behind the cockpit, with a single wire going into the fuselage just behind the cockpit. I used solid, non-stretchy line to do the wire from the cockpit to the post. I was worried that the pull of the double antennas would cause problems with the fragile post. After the superglue and accelerator had hardened, I used some stretchy EZ Line to rig the twin antennas from the tails to the post. It worked 100% easier than I thought. I finished the entire process in about 20 minutes, with a minimum of cursing and throwing things. Success all around. It does take three hands to complete the process, so having a smashed finger may cause some problems tomorrow. Oh well.

I hope to finish everything tomorrow. Thanks to everyone who has followed this mega-build with suggestions and positive thoughts. I have appreciated all the kind comments on my builds in 2023, and have also appreciated following along with your great models this year. It is always great to spend time with great people who enjoy doing the same things that I like to do. Even though we live in many different places, it is exactly like sharing things with a close friend next door. I hope everyone has health and happiness in 2024, as well as all of the models you might wish for. See you next year. Cheers everyone.

• Profile Photo
    Louis Gardner said 4 months, 2 weeks ago:

George R Blair Jr (@gblair)
    Sorry to hear that you smashed your finger. That's not any fun. Yes having a holding fixture to install the ceiling sheet rock is almost a necessity for me now, since my back is no longer what it used to be. All of these year of manual / physical labor is finally catching up to me. But it was a fun ride ! (most of the time anyhow)...

I'm looking forward to seeing how the antennae looks. This is also something that I don't like to do either. It's sort of like painting figures for me, which I am not very good at.

Take care my dear friend. Stay healthy and safe. May we all have a wonderful New Year. It has been a real pleasure following along with your build journals. I always learn something on every one of them.

Thank you.

• Profile Photo
    Spiros Pendedekas said 4 months, 2 weeks ago:

Pity for your finger, my friend @gblair. Wishing you a quick recovery. Great job on your Hudson project!
    Yet another year passed communicating with each other here, doing what we love and sharing it. It is as if we lived next door. Have a Happy, Prosperous 2024!