World of Phantoms – 1/72

Started by Greg Kittinger · 125 · 2 years ago · 1/72, Collection, f-4, Phantom, rhino
  • Profile Photo
    George R Blair Jr said 4 years, 10 months ago:

Quick update: I got my copy of Scale Aviation Modeller International in the mail today and found 2 articles about F-4's. One is a Tamiya 1/32 F-4C painted in early Vietnam gray colors. The second was the Eduard 1/48 F-4C done in Steve Ritchie's aircraft colors. They also have Color Profiles of the F-4. Very timely. Also timely: I found the Academy 1/72 F-4J in Hobby Lobby on sale for $9. I couldn't resist, so I think I will build this kit with some decals I have for one of the Ferris paint schemes. I ordered some canopy masks for this kit and a couple of resin goodies, and will be launching the build soon.

• Profile Photo
    Greg Kittinger said 4 years, 10 months ago:

@gblair - wow George - that is a SCORE for the Academy F-4J! A Ferris scheme bird will make a nice addition - I'm still debating whether or not I'll get to one.

OK - I've been pouring over photos of Turkish 2020 Terminator Phantoms, and cannot find any evidence of where the intake strakes that were supposedly added are, or what they look like. They allegedly contributed to better maneuverability, so I would have thought they would be somewhat prominent, but I just can't see them in any photos I can find. Does anyone have a reference photo (or diagram) showing where those might be? Since Israel did the upgrade for them, I assume they may have done the same for their Kurnass upgrade, and they might exist in references for that airframe also - but I don't see them there either.

• Profile Photo

Greg: I found some photos and a Youtube video that appears to show some small strakes right at the wing folds of the Terminator Phantoms. Take a look at the video & check the taxiing planes about half-way through the video. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MgXwYphH_4E

• Profile Photo

ahh - perhaps the sources I was reading passed on erroneous info without fact-checking! I see the strakes on the wings, and was looking for them on the intakes, where the sources mentioned they should be! Thanks George @gblair

• Profile Photo

The FW-190 I was building is done, so the 1/72 Academy F-4 moves to the front of the line. This is the kit that I found on sale at Hobby Lobby for $9. It should be interesting. I want to use some decals I had for a Ferris Scheme, and I also got some goodies to add to the kit. I don't know if I will use all of them, but I will decide as I go.

3 attached images. Click to enlarge.

• Profile Photo
    Robert Royes said 4 years, 10 months ago:

Dag namit! you guys givin me the itch. maintain, maintain, got to finish builds already started. Greg, the Phantom care package[pilots] should be going out this weekend. Two rather crude photos of a ferris camo'd F-4, in 1978 with VF-74 on Forrestal. I think all that was added was side number 211, I think I have a photo with the Bureau number, but couldn't find it.

2 attached images. Click to enlarge.

• Profile Photo

Glad you're jumping in George @gblair, and I still can't believe you nabbed that kit for $9 - I'm not telling my son!

Thanks Robert @roofrat, and may the force overwhelm you!

FYI, I was struggled a bit with how much AFM goodies to put into these builds, but since I'm tackling so many, settled on nothing but scratchbuilding for details - no resin seats or cockpit enhancements, no brass pitots, etc. Since I am about to fire up the airbrush for the first time, I'm leaning toward canopy mask sets, and I'll always look for good decals, including stencil sets. Hopefully those will be the only "extras" that don't come out of raw styrene! We'll see how long I hold to that line...

By the way, added 3 or 4 more kits to the project raw materials this weekend...

• Profile Photo

One exception to the above may be ordnance. I want to attempt to show the variety of stuff that could be slung beneath the beast, so if I need a few items not in my weapons sets, I may spring for some AFM stuff.

• Profile Photo

Greg, are we posting our builds on this thread, or do we want to start separate threads on our builds?

• Profile Photo

That VF-74 Ferris camo'd Bureau number was155522. How ever we post them, we could title it Greg's Inspired Phantom builds.

• Profile Photo

I second that motion! Or how about "Greg's Phabulous Phantom Builds"?

• Profile Photo

Or "Greg's Phabulous Phantom Phun Builds", but I think I like yours best.

• Profile Photo
    Chuck A. Villanueva said 4 years, 10 months ago:

Wow so I am late for the party, what a rather ambitious endeavour y'all are pursuing. Looking at the Academy F-4J some of you have already looks as if it is the 48th scale kit shrunk down to 72nd scale. 1 piece fuselage with the 3 color plastic looks just like the bigger kit. Everything I have in the stash is in 48th scale. Revell F-4E, this is the Hasegawa kit. Hasegawa F-4B, the Academy F-4B and Tamiya's 32nd F-4J, with a few projects in work at the moment I may get an F-4 into the plans towards the end of the year. Like Louis my desk is full. Would love to do a Vietnam Marine F-4 operating out of DaNang. Greg great idea.

• Profile Photo

Well gents - like I said at the beginnin' - this is a looooonnnggg-term, multi-year project for me, so anyone is welcome to jump in at any time for a little Phantom camaraderie! There isn't really a "late" to this party - it's a come-and-go affair! And as George has done, feel free to start your own WIP thread - no need to load your builds up on here, though I'm totally cool to host any updates, etc. (or even your entire project, if you don't want to run your own thread!). It all just makes for a nice, running conversation...

As I mentioned earlier - I'm not even starting the actual build process until I finish my Tony and Savage (got to clear the bench), and I'm still collecting a few kits, mask sets, decals etc. The Savage is coming along and the Tony is just waiting for decals to arrive in the mail.

• Profile Photo

OK, Greg, while you are clearing your workbench, here are a few more Phabulous Phantoms for inspiration.

5 attached images. Click to enlarge.