World of Phantoms – 1/72

Started by Greg Kittinger · 125 · 2 years ago · 1/72, Collection, f-4, Phantom, rhino
  • Profile Photo
    Greg Kittinger said 2 years, 5 months ago:

I have been remiss in keeping this thread updated, as I started and have almost finished my next Phantom - an Italeri F-4G in Euro scheme. All I have to do is finish up the ordnance and add it, then pop it on a stand! I thought I would at least post some of the WIP pics I took early, especially my solution to building some of these old kits that don't have any visible compressor blades in the intakes. For that, I created a graphic in PPT (a poor man's graphic design program!), then shrunk it down to scale and printed off a sheet of compressor blades. One image cut in half is plenty for the Phantom (I'm working on an older Hasegawa F-15 kit that I may also try to use them for). Glue them on in the proper angle that they appear when looking into the intake trunk, and they're not too bad - better than a blank.

I also added more of the rear seat IP that was missing, and for the first time did some additional color layers to the blackbasing/marbeling. Some yellow beneath where some of the green is going to go to get some additional pre-shading values.

5 attached images. Click to enlarge.

• Profile Photo
    Robert Royes said 2 years, 5 months ago:

Glad to see your Phantom works phlying again. That's a great idea about the compressor blades.

• Profile Photo
    John vd Biggelaar said 2 years, 5 months ago:

Good to see you continuing on this project, Greg @gkittinger

• Profile Photo
    Spiros Pendedekas said 2 years, 5 months ago:

Nice to see the World of Phantoms project running, my friend @gkittinger!
    The compressor face printout is a stunning idea!

• Profile Photo
    George R Blair Jr said 2 years, 5 months ago:

Glad to see you are building Phantoms again, Greg (@gkittinger). This Italeri looks like a promising kit. Looking forward to the rest of the build.