World of Phantoms – 1/72

Started by Greg Kittinger · 125 · 2 years ago · 1/72, Collection, f-4, Phantom, rhino
  • Profile Photo
    Robert Royes said 4 years, 10 months ago:

How bout a what if production version of the canard equipped , fly by wire , slatted, F-4, which started out as a RF-4C, it also was the test bed for the cannon armed F-4E. Great photos!

1 attached image. Click to enlarge.

• Profile Photo
    Ferry Dierckxsens said 4 years, 10 months ago:

Some more build references on the Phantom can be found in the new July edition of the monthly magazine "Model Aircraft" with build reports of Academy 1:48 F4J Jolly Rogers, and Zoukei-Mura's 1:48 Vietnam era F4C with checkerboard tail. Next to this a chapter with reference photos of USAF F4 C/D Vietnam era Phantoms. Check their website to find out how to get a copy. http://www.modelaircraftmag.com

• Profile Photo
    Greg Kittinger said 4 years, 10 months ago:

Thanks Ferry @therefueler! Robert @roofrat, I don't know - just something about those canards that throws me off! It kinda detracts from the "Rhino" reputation. But I also have a hard time with the Ferris schemes, so maybe it's just me...!

• Profile Photo
    Robert Royes said 4 years, 10 months ago:

I think I know what you mean, The actual aircraft was a test bed for new technology, they had no plans of a production version ,I don't think any paint scheme is going to save your ***, if the other guy has visual or a radar lock on you, but I was just a lowly mechanic. I still like the colorful USAF silver birds and grey/white of USN.

• Profile Photo
    Greg Kittinger said 4 years, 8 months ago:

I've been working away on my Turk - it's based on the old Italeri F-4 E/G kit, as it contains the slatted wings and slotted stabilizers needed. It's a pretty simple kit - so simple that there's not much in the cockpit. I added some details to the seats with styrene and wire, added some 3D detail to the back seaters IP, and extended the back seaters side panels forward and extended the IP console down. I had to cut the back seat IP decal into six pieces to place it on the panel, and found a bunch of stuff in my spares box for the side consoles, as there's nothing in the Italeri kit. Added some instruments wiring to the back of the back seat IP, and didn't do anything to the front IP as it'll get buried. Added some spares box pilots (had to perform major surgery to their legs to get them into the seats - and even then they didn't fit great!). Final touch was some PE ejection pulls (which by the way, I noticed that when folded, they don't seem to close down as well as I thought they did! Any tips? Not sure I could super glue them closed without gluing them to something!)

4 attached images. Click to enlarge.

• Profile Photo

The crazy thing about this build is that everything else I needed to do to move to the next step revolved around seating the cockpit section, so I could then have everything needed to paint beneath where the splitter plates cover the fuselage, and I can continue with the build. Once I can get some paint under the splitters, the rest of the build should go really quickly.

This will be one of my first airbrushed projects...I'm a bit on pins and needles but going to bite the bullet! Now that the cockpit is in, I'll start masking the metal sections - and paint that while I'm painting beneath the splitters - then finish construction and paint the rest of the brute. I'm still drilling into some of the nuances of the upgraded Turkish F-4E (known as the 2020 Terminator) - blade aerials, SOM cruise missiles, etc.

• Profile Photo
    Louis Gardner said 4 years, 8 months ago:

What a marvelous build journal.

I don't think I would worry too much about the ejector pulls. They look really good as is. Once he canopy is added, this will be even harder to see. Just my 2 cents worth...

As far as air brushing goes, I think you will do good with this too. The trick to air brushing is thinning the paint down enough. After a while you will get an eye for doing this. It seems that it will look too thin, but it sprays the best this way. I usually spray my paints at a 50 / 50 mix of thinner to paint. Air pressure is another biggie. Not too much, and not too little. 15 to 30 PSI works the best for me. It also matters if you are painting a large area or something small like Luftwaffe mottling.

If you have any old models to use as something to practice on first, that will help too.

I have no doubts that you will pick up on it quickly... and you will start using the air brush more and more.

The office looks fantastic, as does the crew. I'll be looking forward to seeing your next installment.

• Profile Photo
    IAN JACKSON said 4 years, 8 months ago:

"...and I’d love to have some company building a Rhino! Let me know if and what you pull out of that garage stash of yours to put on the bench…"

Well if the invite is still open, Greg, I'd be happy to throw-in:

1 attached image. Click to enlarge.

• Profile Photo
    Robert Royes said 4 years, 8 months ago:

Looking good ,Greg. I'm working in my head as to how to finish the two F-4's in my stash, I have a B that I think I want to do in very early markings, I have Monogram J that I'm thinking of converting to an USAF C or D.

• Profile Photo
    George R Blair Jr said 4 years, 8 months ago:

Interesting problem with the rings on the ejection seat. The Eduard rings I used on my F-4J were only single thickness, so no folding required. I have used some flat nose pliers to press this sort of photo etch together with good results, but you need to me careful to not knock off the painted surface. I think they look fine as they are. I second Louis' observation about thinning the paint for spraying. If it isn't thinned correctly you will have a lot of frustration trying to spray. I have found even paints like Vallejo Model Air, that is supposed to be airbrush ready, requires thinning for my airbrush. There will be a temptation to start spraying right on your model, but some practice on scrap plastic will pay lots of dividends. Once you get everything figured out, you will love your airbrush forever. Enjoy the journey!

• Profile Photo

@ij001 Ah Ian - a man after my own heart (seeing all those Phantoms prominently displayed in your stash)! Jump in with whatever feels good to you! I'm doing just about one of everything, so call it a buffet!

• Profile Photo

@roofrat Robert - I ended up with an extra J, and while researching the Brit Phantoms discovered they used some J's to beef up their domestic forces when they had to house a squadron down in the Falklands, so decided to add an F-4J(UK) to the Spey-engined K and M's I have planned. Just a thought for something different!

• Profile Photo
    IAN JACKSON said 4 years, 8 months ago:

Well TBH I could comfortably build all of them and not get bored. I'm missing only a couple of RoG 'F' kits to do a late 'E' and a standard Luftwaffe version.

I've only got the one 'B' so I'll do that first...

Ian.

• Profile Photo
    Robert Royes said 4 years, 8 months ago:

Greg,I think decals for the F-4J[UK] were in that F-4 care package, hopefully there useable.

• Profile Photo

@roofrat Ah - knew I remembered seeing them recently! Thanks again for that - I already put a couple of those pilots into the Turk!