World of Phantoms – 1/72

Started by Greg Kittinger · 125 · 2 years ago · 1/72, Collection, f-4, Phantom, rhino
  • Profile Photo
    Greg Kittinger said 4 years, 8 months ago:

Spent some of the weekend getting some final details in place. I needed to file down a notch and add the proper tip to the tail, along with a shorter sensor just under the tip (sorry - forgot to get a pic of that). I made the sensor using some old bomb halves. I also got out my rivet wheel and went for a ride! Just one pic of the stabilizer - hard to see in the light I have and with my iPhone camera. My only disappointment during riveting was I couldn't really get at the rivet lines that are adjacent to where the intake trunks meet the upper fuselage, as the wheel wasn't small enough to get into that gap. Also because I had already glued the wings on, I couldn't add lines that met that join either. So the rivet work isn't totally accurate, but does provide a bit more interest - IF it shows up under the paint! This old kit has raised panel lines, and I decided not to sand off and re-scribe - I'll just live with it and post shade it a bit. Next build though, I'll remember to not attached the wings until I've done what I want with rivets!

2 attached images. Click to enlarge.

• Profile Photo
    IAN JACKSON said 4 years, 7 months ago:

Hey Greg
    Just finished (and posted) my latest - if you're still happy for me to jump-in to this 'buddy build', I can start about midweek ?

Ian.

• Profile Photo
    Greg Kittinger said 4 years, 7 months ago:

@ij001 Happy to have you join in. As you probably surmised, this is a really loooonnggg term project (count of Phantoms up to about 44 now), so any fellowship along the way is welcome! I am making headway on the Turkish Phantom - just need to mask the canopy and then ready for primer and paint work!

• Profile Photo
    Rossi Silvano said 4 years, 5 months ago:

hi Greg,
    this is my tribute to the cause...
    Phabolouse Phantom
    ciao Silvano

5 attached images. Click to enlarge.

• Profile Photo
    Greg Kittinger said 4 years, 5 months ago:

@rossisilvano those are real beauties!

• Profile Photo
    Robert Royes said 4 years, 5 months ago:

Still got a couple of f-4s in my stash, I can here them saying ' build me' build me' . Great looking Brit Phantoms, Rossi. Love the RN one ready for the cat shot.

• Profile Photo
    George R Blair Jr said 4 years, 5 months ago:

Great looking RAF Phantoms. All in 1/72?

• Profile Photo
    Rossi Silvano said 4 years, 5 months ago:

Tks George...
    all in 1/72
    F-4J UK 74° Sqn Hasegawa 1/72
    FG1, 111 Sqn, XVII Sqn, RN 892 Sqn - FG2 43 Sqn, Fujimi 1/72

• Profile Photo
    Greg Kittinger said 4 years, 2 months ago:

Already posted the 2020 Terminator, and am now working on the Kurnass 2000 and the EJ Kai. Already have the fuselage together, and just need to finish riveting the stabs and wing tips, and will then be into the paint shop. Here are the two sets of pilots. They came out darker than I intended when I applied the wash - will compensate more for that next time.

2 attached images. Click to enlarge.

• Profile Photo
    Robert Royes said 4 years, 2 months ago:

Looks great. Your phorging ahead! When I phinished the QF-4N I had one F-4 left in my stash, now I have three and I'm looking at another, they just seem to multiply.

• Profile Photo
    Greg Kittinger said 4 years, 2 months ago:

@roofrat I have also experience that! They're like rabbits!

• Profile Photo
    Greg Kittinger said 4 years, 1 month ago:

Here are the two (Kai and Kurnass) without the intakes, wing tips and stabs (done with the stab riveting, finishing up the wing tips and intakes). These newer Hasegawa kits are interesting in that they are designed in a modular way with all kinds of optional parts (fin tips, wing tips, aerial blades, fuselage inserts, etc.) so that you can make a variety of models of the Phantom from each box. Unfortunately the trade off is really janky assembly procedures. Not as clean a build as a single-model designed set of molds. You have to pay a lot more attention to lining up each sub assembly, and still there's extra sanding and putty work required.

1 attached image. Click to enlarge.

• Profile Photo
    George R Blair Jr said 4 years, 1 month ago:

The Japanese have some really interesting paint schemes on their Phantoms. Looking forward to seeing how you do yours.

• Profile Photo

First EJ will have the two-tone ocean blue scheme (like the F-2B I did), with dry transfer white stenciling. I have at least one more Kai to do, and will either do the Mig-21 profile scheme, or a heavily weathered 2-tone grey scheme. I'll save the green schemes for the Japanese RF versions (2 at least).

• Profile Photo

Wow - spent so much time filling, sanding, re-filling, etc. that it doesn't feel like I've made much progress on these two birds. I got the intakes masked prior to inserting some sponges, and since this pic have added the splitter plates. Just need to wash the sanding dust off, add the blade aerials, paint around the cockpit and add the masked canopy sections, and add the blade aerials (and IFR prove on the Kurnass), and they'll be ready for paint!

1 attached image. Click to enlarge.