World of Phantoms – 1/72

Started by Greg Kittinger · 125 · 2 years ago · 1/72, Collection, f-4, Phantom, rhino
  • Profile Photo
    George R Blair Jr said 3 years, 10 months ago:

The stencils on an F-4 are kind of a love-hate thing. They are a real pain to put on and make them look right, but they really look good once you are done, especially on some of the Japanese paint schemes. Great job.

• Profile Photo
    Spiros Pendedekas said 3 years, 10 months ago:

As I love joking, Greg @gkittinger and George @gblair, I frequently state that there's no need for the F-4 technicians to have the technical manuals...All are stencilled on the F-4!

Finished a Revell 1/32 F-4 in HAF scheme half a year ago. Stencilling (TWO large Icarus Decals sheets) almost drove me to oblivion!

All the best, my friends!

• Profile Photo
    George R Blair Jr said 3 years, 10 months ago:

That's true, Spiros @fiveten. As bad as putting the decals on is, imagine being the one who had to paint them on the real F-4s. At least the stencil decals are big enough to see in 1/32.

• Profile Photo
    George Schembri said 3 years, 10 months ago:

Your F-4 is looking amazing Greg - Kudos on the stenciling, did not realize the F-4 had that much.

Well here is my contribution, a blast from my past - my 1/72 RF-4C Spirit of America from Marines VMFP-3. Italeri Kit No. 133 from 1981 with Microscale Decals 72-201.

Supposed to be a RF-4C but I installed the RF-4E exhaust since the F-4E was THE PLANE!

I dare not wash off the dust in fear that the decals will fall apart.

Last count I have SIX F-4's waiting in silence - including another RF-4C - that being ESCI kit #9027.

F-4E has always been MY plane. I remember back in Grade 6 Elementary School when I did a class report/presentation on the F-4E. All the other kids did presentations on their favourite sports team or cars and I chose the MDD F-4E! AND I got an 'A' on the presentation.

1 attached image. Click to enlarge.

• Profile Photo
    Greg Kittinger said 3 years, 10 months ago:

@georgeswork I just picked up a Fujimi 1/72 RF-4B at a show last weekend, and intend on adding it to my Phantom project as a Marine bird like yours. I've got 2 Marine RF-4B's, so will do one high viz and the other low (just ordered some decals for the low-viz - plenty of high-viz options between the two boxes!).

• Profile Photo
    George Schembri said 3 years, 10 months ago:

Nice find on the Fujimi kit!
    Great choice to show contrast of paint schemes.
    When I built this kit I just went with Microscale info saying the aircraft was an RF-4C.
    Also made a mistake – I have the RF-4C/E Esci #9029.
    Do have Esci #9027, Italeri #170, Hasegawa #00352 Vandy 75 and Hasegawa #120 T-Birds, an oldie.
    Also F-4B/N Hasegawa #E36 – my neighbours Dad was with VF-51 Screaming Eagles – promising to build him a model, so I guess that build is my next F-4.

• Profile Photo
    Greg Kittinger said 3 years, 9 months ago:

Getting to the finish line on the Kurnass 2000. Made several mistakes on the paint job, and had a frustrating time getting the Akan paints to spray the same color upon touch-up efforts! Got all the decals on and ready for panel wash and weathering. Painting the ordnance now, and will put it all together.

3 attached images. Click to enlarge.

• Profile Photo
    George R Blair Jr said 3 years, 9 months ago:

Paint looks awesome, Greg (@gkittinger). The Israeli paint scheme is one of the best out there. The F-4C was the primary fighter when I joined the Air Force in 1973, and I have a bunch of F-4's I still want to do. My build list keeps getting longer and longer.

• Profile Photo

@gblair - yeah - I just added another 2 Phantoms to my stash (arriving this week I think) - my Phantom project is up to 49 birds now... I saw some notes on the F-4C Wild Weasel - found some decals for that squadron - and so had to add that to the list! Dad flew the C and D in 'nam, and it's my favorite aircraft.

• Profile Photo
    Spiros Pendedekas said 3 years, 9 months ago:

That Kurnass 2000 turns out great, Greg @gkittinger!
    Cannot wait for the weathering!

• Profile Photo
    Robert Royes said 3 years, 9 months ago:

Your Israeli F-4 is looking awesome, Great score on the EF-4C decals! I'm on the hunt for 1/72 decals for a Marine F-4B of VMFA-122 out of Danang, if I find them I'm going to load it up with three 20mm cannon pods. @gkittinger.

• Profile Photo
    Allan J Withers said 3 years, 9 months ago:

Looking good Greg !

• Profile Photo
    Erik Gjørup said 3 years, 9 months ago:

Greg (@gkittinger), you did warn us in the very first post;

This is going to be a long-running thread

Why did I quote you on that? - well, I've been going throught all the wonderful posts and comments in this buildlog to see if I could find an explanation, and I hate to be the one to tell you this: You might have a problem with mice!
    I have noticed what appears to be large holes in your latest F-4's, and mice might be doing that - however, should that not be the case, what is the purpose of these? Did I miss it in a previous post?

That aside, I love the latest one out of the shop, and do not think the colordifference you mentioned shows up in the pictures. Keep sending these double smoketrailers, I love them!

• Profile Photo
    Allan J Withers said 3 years, 9 months ago:

Erik that's where Greg sticks it up them, the clear perspex rod to mount them I mean, no undercarriage !

• Profile Photo

Eric @airbum, the guys in my modeling club claim those holes to be flak hits, but Allan @kalamazoo nailed it! I use a dremel to ream out a whole to insert the plastic rod I use to mount all my builds to an in-flight position on a wooden base.