WIP End Of 2017 after Return To Modeling

Started by Carl Smoot · 17 · 4 years ago
  • Profile Photo
    Carl Smoot said 6 years, 4 months ago:

Well I don't have anything completed yet for 2017, I've only returned back to modeling in mid November, but I do have some items moving along. My initial efforts are focusing on getting back into the hobby, trying out a few new techniques and just having fun. I have the Airfix 1/48 Spitfire I in painting stage, trying out black basing for the first time. Then Monogram's 1/48 F-80 Shooting Star, going to use this as an experiment in black basing under aluminum finish. Panel lines were rescribed on this kit . Still a ways to go. Finally, 2 Gloster Gladiators (Roden 1/48 and Inpact 1/48) which will be displayed in flight as two of the Malta Sea Gladiators. The Inpact kit is getting a scratchbuilt cockpit (which will be more suggestive than accurate).

• Profile Photo
    Greg Kittinger said 6 years, 4 months ago:

Welcome back to the hobby! I look forward to seeing your completed builds.

• Profile Photo
    Rob Anderson said 6 years, 4 months ago:

Looks like you are off to a good start welcome back!

• Profile Photo
    neil foster said 6 years, 4 months ago:

Hi Carl ,welcome to the site,what's going on with that Spitfire ?I've not seen that before .
    N.

• Profile Photo

Thanks Neil,

Special Black based version used only for night ops. Designed to confuse the enemy. Also to confuse the builder! 🙂

First attempt at black basing that so far is going so so. Kind of wish I had practiced on a cheaper model; because I've made many mistakes . I used Blue tack for masking but didn't overlap the brown color enough, so there are bits of black and white showing through. Then got the brown color completely wrong. Since this is the first build, I am going to continue as is and use this to test out some weathering ideas.

I apologize for the photo quality. I don't have anything but a phone camera right now.

• Profile Photo

Thanks Greg. My first efforts are exposing all my mistakes!

• Profile Photo

Thanks Rob, I want to try and keep many in work so I can keep painting more often than the past, but I might be moving just a bit too quickly.

• Profile Photo

A little more progress today on the Inpact 1/48th Gladiator.A bit kludgy, but I think once it's actually installed, painted, and weathered, that it will look the part.

• Profile Photo
    Jeff Bailey said 6 years, 4 months ago:

You may have been away from these, but you haven't lost your "touch!"

• Profile Photo

Thanks Jeff, There is a certain amount of satisfaction out of building these. I've always rather enjoyed working these older kits.

• Profile Photo
    Chuck A. Villanueva said 6 years, 4 months ago:

Hey Carl, first of all Happy New Year and welcome, your return back is quite ambitious and so far your getting it. The black basing technique is something that will work as you get more experience using it. I did it for the first time recently on the P-38E and the MiG-15 and it was ok, the blotchy affect shows for an aircraft in heavy use in theatre. I will continue to try the technique on future builds. But so far your off to a good start. Keep them coming.

• Profile Photo

Thanks Chuck, yeah one thing I've already figured out about black basing is that there needs to be finer squigglies and more of them.

This morning I've been struggling with repairing the gun barrels on the F-80 after they were sanded away. I've got something that's workable, but I will need to do a bit of cleanup. Working with these small parts is making me blind! 🙂

• Profile Photo
    Josh Patterson said 6 years, 4 months ago:

Is the Inpact Gladiator a re-pop of the old Pyro/Lindberg kits? That was my first biplane and I really liked the kit and even though the interior left a little to be desired the exterior was very nice!

• Profile Photo

Actually it's the other way around. The Inpact kit is the original model. Later Pyro, then Lindbergh offered the same model. Those biplane kits are pretty good considering when they were released. I have the Fury kit as well, waiting for another day. I want to pick up the Fairey Flycatcher and the Bristol Bulldog kits when I can find them.

The exterior of the Gladiator is not as nice as the Roden kit, but with some work on the interior, and some cleanup of the exterior, the kit can still be quite nice. Best thing going for it is the price. I got it it for $5.00. And a friend of mine gave me the Roden Sea Gladiator kit for free, so I can build a pair.

• Profile Photo
    Bernard E. Hackett, Jr. said 6 years, 4 months ago:

Inpact, Pyro, Lifelike, then Lindberg. Those molds have been around. Got my first one when I got back from Viet Nam, 1969. I am a fan. It would be nice if some kind person did some replacement decals for them, particularly the Bulldog and Flycatcher.