Profile Photo
Drew Tarter
27 articles

1/48 Hasegawa F-8E MiG-killer

March 22, 2013 · in Aviation · · 5 · 2.9K

Here's one of my collection of US Navy MiG-killers, a F-8E . I finished it in the markings of 'Nickel 103', an F-8E from VF-211 off USS Hancock, flown by Cmdr. Hal Marr. He shot down a on 12 June 1966, which was the Crusader's first kill of the Vietnam War.

I used the Aires cockpit and wheel well sets, and a Seamless S*****s intake - which had as many seems to fill as the kit intake. I also scratchbuilt a boarding ladder and steps, a standby compass and a few other cockpit details. The AIM-9B Sidewinders are from my spares box, and I used Quickboost afterburner scoops and pitot probe, and a few photoetched pieces. The decals are from an Eduard sheet of MiG-killers.

All the resin aftermarket parts somehow threw off the fit - I had to do LOTS of filling and sanding on the fuselage seams, and I had to reposition the right main gear to correct the stance. I usually don't use more than an aftermarket seat or cockpit, but I traded for this kit and it came with all these extra resin accessories, but they wound up causing lots of construction problems. I wouldn't use them again.

Reader reactions:
2  Awesome

4 additional images. Click to enlarge.

5 responses

  1. Dude, i think you just beat me in the race to post the next F-8 Crusader article.

  2. i also attempted to use a Cutting Edge resin intake replacement- it didn't fit and i binned that as well. I also used the Quickboost resin cooling scoops, and i too had problems with the right landing gear strut throwing off the "sit" of the model.

    It wasn't just you, if it makes you feel any better.

  3. Thanks, David - glad to know that. I've built two 1/48 Hasegawa Crusaders, and they definately are not 'shake and bake' kits. I've got a third kit that I'm going to convert to an RF-8A photo Crusader, using the RVHP resin set.

    My experience was that the cooling scoops simply do not fit, and neither do the Quickboost replacements. I had to fill and sand on an area that was to be natural metal, which is always tough to do. Also, if you raise the wing, the inner flaps woill not fit, either, unless they are filed down on one side substantially. And then there are those raised hinge areas on the upper wing at the fold line that are fictitious, meaning more sanding and rescribing.

    Oh well, it's still better than the Monogram kit, but not by as much as you might think...

  4. Good Job Drew on teh "E" and just shows again the effort and detail and the 'Over come" stuff still counts even if all the Rivets are not counted. now I am on dead line to try to get my "C' version on here before the another wave of something else hits the fan.. I like it..

  5. Thanks, Wayne!

Leave a Reply