Back to the beginning.....
Sometime around 1971 when I would have been around 6 years old I was given as a present the Airfix 1/72 Boulton Paul Defiant kit, I can actualy remember building, it probably in about an hour and when it was built not knowing what the decals were we cut them out and glued them on !...I thought it was the best thing I'd ever seen and spent the rest of the day running around my grandma's house with it in hand making engine/machine gun noises,happy days.
Since returning to the hobby some years ago it has been at the back of my mind to build it again so just over a week ago I bought this one for 6 quid ( that's pounds) from a model show in the U.K. (south cheshire militaire),On returning to our club stand the lads took one look at what I'd bought and spent the rest of the afternoon mocking me mercilessly and not without reason,I was surprised at how truly rubbish this moulding is with no wheel well interior, a gap of 2mm between the wing/fuselage on each side, the ailerons being way too small and the wrong shape the whole kit is covered in rivets that to scale would be like pingpong balls cut in half and the decals sheet was out of register WOW!
The first thing I did was remove all the rivets then just built it up correcting things as I went including removing the rudder and positioning it and the tail wheel askew to add a bit of depth, I used most of the decals and just replaced a few where needed from my spares box ,I also added an aerial wire and she was finished.Comments please.
2 additional images. Click to enlarge.