1/48 Hasegawa Desert Storm A-7E
As I love the F4U Corsair, I also love one other aircraft that carried the name- this one, Hasegawa’s 1/48 A-7E Corsair II built as a Desert Storm HARM launcher. I am flabbergasted at the lack of operational Desert Storm A-7E markings out there. Air Doc Has ones for VA-72 (the ones I used), but sadly the titles are not properly spaced over the “Navy” text on the rear fuselage, I had to adjust the decals to more accurately match photos of the period.
The Revell boxing of the Hasegawa A-7E has Clansmen markings, but they are incorrect: font and general look overall. The Superscale VA-72 markings are for post hostilities. So, I did the best I could with what was out there. I had found some low vis intake markings on a Superscale sheet that were more accurate than the Airdoc ones, but sadly I took them off the kit when the airdoc decals arrived, before checking the new ones- I had assumed the AirDoc ones would be right!
I also noticed in period photos, a small detail of a double bladed antenna on Desert Storm A-7’s under the nose (pictured) . A-7’s would not regularly carried all pylons or 4 HARMS later in the conflict, but you have to admit, it can carry four, and we can always say on this day as the pilot taxied to the catapult, there was a need for a load of four on this particular sortie!
You cannot easily see the streaking that I applied on the upper wings – my attempt at weathering during spraying the finish. I am considering doing some washes eventually to dirty this aircraft a bit.
I apologize for the last overexposed photo, but it was the only way I knew to show the intake detail that I am pretty proud of- I made resin casts of an intake fan to improve on the featureless end of the kit supplied intake. All my corsairs will have this adjustment as I build them. Soon to come will be an “operation Praying Mantis” A-7E from VA-22 with Walleyes. That would be from the time of the 80’s “Tanker Wars” with Libya…
8 additional images. Click to enlarge.