Italeri 1/72 F-111A Aardvark
Built OOB except added crew, and swapped out 1000 lb iron bombs for r******d bombs. Was a pretty nice kit – a bit difficult to get the exhaust nozzles snuggled up next to the fuselage once everything was put together. I used a panel line wash and in hindsight wish I’d have just used post shading, as it came out a bit stark. I tried using pastel chalk powders to lighten the center sections of most panels – I used a dirty white on the tan and a light grey on the green sections. It looked pretty good until I top coated with dullcoat, and then the grey turned darker and the white disappeared! Once I was done with everything, I went back over the tan with the white powder and this time did not top coat – you can see the subtle lightening, but I better keep this one out of the rain! Not a lot of weathering except the panel wash, usual post shading with various colors of pastel chalk powders, and a bit of staining underneath and on rear section with Tamiya weathering kits and Tensacrom. Couple of shots of the crew in the cockpit, since you can’t see much in there once closed up. Kit decals for a 1972 Thailand-based Aardvark.
11 additional images. Click to enlarge.