The Three Soldiers pt.4
This article is part of a series:
The final display, upon which all three kits are nested, needed to be planned to be separated for transport.
My initial idea was a circle with a chevron cut out to resemble the wall at the actual location in D.C. The base would cut into sections. When the time came for reality (available resources and final size) it proved to impractical. The sectioning idea proved to be valid if it were to be moved around. The problem was going to need transport a case, which was too much. I would let the problem resolve itself after a practical, lightweight base was created.
I used 3 sheets of 2x2x.5” Styrofoam and stacked them for depth. I still wanted the chevron, so I sketched out a 170 angle on the each piece and cut few inches from the middle board, & few more from the top, meeting the top of my wedge drawn out. Now they are staggered. Cutting out the remaining foam leaves me with couple of ridges at the top. This will be covered with clay and paper clay to form an embankment. The sheets are glued with Tacky Glue (great for Styrofoam); the embankment was laid down and dimpled with a toothbrush. Air dry clay was flattened out to form a rough, faux stone wall on the edges. After a few days of drying, I mixed black paint with Gesso for a primer. The edges were rendered in a sponge technique to resemble stone.
I traced out positions of the models and scored the outline with an Xacto. I then indented the scores, just enough to cradle the models with any shake later. I then base coated the grass with medium green. Now to add texture. Without the right scenic / flocking materials, it was time improvise again. I collected a bag tea and shavings from 4 pencils. After processing the ingredients, I glued down the concocted grass and touched it up with lighter green from the airbrush. All of this while leaving the traced outlines untouched.
I glued temporary studs to the bottom of each model made from a wall bushing for wire; cut out corresponding holes in the outlines of the models and the models plopped right in.
Complete! What a joyful pain it was to build. 👍😂🖖
8 additional images. Click to enlarge.