Bf 109 E-4, Maj Helmut Wick
Tamiya 1/48 Bf 109 E-4, W. Nr 5344. The markings are those of Maj. Helmut Wick, Geschwaderkommodore, JG2, Beaumont, France, Nov 1940. These are the final markings for this aircraft. At this time Wick was the leading Luftwaffe ace and was just before his death in combat with several RAF Spitfires on Nov 28, 1940.
The parts fit of this kit is truly amazing. It went together nicely with no annoying gaps anywhere. I only used some CA along the fuselage to ensure a smooth base for scribing the top and bottom seams. Eduard PE was used for the cockpit, E-Z line for the radio antenna, and the canopy brace was scratch built from .008 guitar string.
Before painting, I primed with white Stynylrez. I’ve tried various primers and really like this the best. It goes on smooth and easy, dries quickly, and doesn’t “pill up” like some acrylic primers do if you find you need to do some light sanding afterwards. Oh, and did I say it dries and cures quickly…no need to wait over nigh to paint.
For color, I used primarily Vallejo Air acrylics with some Tamiya acrylics for the position lights and some of the cockpit detail. Camouflage was standard RLM 65/02/71 with the nose and tail being RLM 04. I used a very stiff brush to stipple the RLM 71 on the sides of the fuselage over the base coat of RLM 65. The area in front of the national cross is over sprayed to cover the double chevron markings when Wick was the Gruppe C.O. of I/JG2. The decals are from the Tamiya kit except for the “Horrido” banner and Geschwaderommodore markings, which I stole from my Eduard Bf 109 E-4/7 kit. The decals went down nicely with no problems. This was followed by some light weathering with an oil pin wash and a final coat of Vallejo satin varnish to tie it all together.
Like I said, this was an easy, fun build with no real issues. That said, I can be “anal” at times about dry fitting parts to make sure things work before I use glue.
13 additional images. Click to enlarge.