Profile Photo

  • 95 articles
  • 7,692 karma
  • 94 friends

Project Complete: 1/32 FLY Hawker Hurricane IIc. in Royal Indian Air Force Markings (BURMA)

I was asked to build this as a commissioned build for a good friend. I recently posted a build report on Imodeler last week for those who are interested. Here is the link: https://imodeler.com/2019/01/farewell-review-this-was-the-last-project-on-my-workbench/

My experience building this FLY kit was "so-so". This is primarily for 2 main reasons. 1: This is a typical short-run kit in many ways. 2: I am spoiled by the far superior engineering of main stream modern kits from Tamiya, Trumpeter, etc.

Strengths:

  • Not many Hurricanes Available (This is only Mk. IIc. I believe)
  • Really nice wing surface details especially the raised rivets
  • Fit not bad for a limited-run kit, especially fuselage halves and wing to fuselage fit
  • Nice Resin Wheels and Exhaust
  • Nice PE instrument panels with clear acetate dials
  • Really nice resin wheel wells (takes a lot of grinding to fit)
  • Overall nice representation of this particular aircraft
  • Separate tail control surfaces
  • 2 sets of prop blades styles
  • Colored Instruction Manual
  • Outstanding performing decals
  • Nice placard decal sheet with separate placement drawings
  • Nice colored aircraft markings drawings
  • Canopy & Windscreen fit great
  • Detailed wing landing lights
  • Nice oil cooler assembly with lots of photo-etch detail.
  • PE bracing strip covering bottom wing join as in actual aircraft

Weaknesses:

  • Typical Limited-Run issues (No positive locating tabs, flash, no part numbers, etc.)
  • Very fiddly cockpit assembly
  • Cockpit parts have soft details, or none at all
  • Many resin parts are soft in detail compared to most other resin kit parts
  • Instruction sheet shows much more part detail then actually exists on parts
  • Cockpit assembly is difficult to place w/o locating tabs, needing reinforcements
  • Instructions are very vague for some parts
  • Resin cannons are horrible (replaced with metal after-market)
  • no internal parts compared to more modern 1/32 offerings for aircraft
  • no engine
  • Terrible fitting front filter scoops (needed shims and lots of filler)
  • Weak wing joins needed reinforcement
  • So-So Cockpit detail for this scale
  • Recessed fuselage panel lines soft and shallow
  • Cannot deploy wing flaps

I added some extra bits and pieces to the cockpit area to busy it up. I added some cockpit placards and decal dials. Added after-market cannon assemblies. I used lots of extra plastic to reinforces some assemblies. I had a very difficult time installing the wing landing lights. I think this is because I had to adjust the top/bottom wing halves so that the outer to inner wing assembly connected without a gap. This may have resulted in the light lens openings to not be exact and the lens fit poorly. I really did not remedy this well and I may need to acquire a new set of light lens and try to fit them better. I also added brake lines using lead wire.

38 additional images. Click to enlarge.


8 responses

  1. It looks great Paul, don’t think I’ve ever seen a Hurricane camouflaged quite like this one, it certainly breaks from the more common European scheme.

  2. Beautiful work, Paul...your friend should be pleased (I know I would).

  3. She’s a beaut (as usual). Glad to see you’re still building.

  4. Great to see this finished Paul - nice work.

  5. You can spot an aircraft that’s been “Teixeira’d” a mile off. And that’s a compliment.

    ‘Liked’ a lot.

  6. A great job, Paul!

  7. A beautiful model Paul, typical of your work! Love it.

Leave a Reply