The ” long in the tooth ” Tamiya 1/35 M41 Walker Bulldog
Hello folks, my name is Justin Rogers and I have here for you my second build of my very first armor kit I ever built since my return to the hobby.. Certainly everyone knows how ” long in the tooth ” the Tamiya 1/35 M41 Walker Bulldog kit really is and I’m always kinda delighted when I see others build and post their works in online modeling groups..
Since I was building this kit for the second time in about a three year span, I wanted to take the time and try an improve this old kits soft details.. I did quite a few modifications, starting with upper hull, I added a scratch built pioneer rack with individual hand tools rather than the kit provided pioneer rack with molded tools.. I also added tow cable and tow cable hooks along the the left side.. the headlamp gaurds we’re also replaced with scrap photoetch to thin down the scale and look more realistic.. adding a weld bead on the front glacial plate joint with some stretched sprue and melted with extra thin cement and given the weld bead appearance with the back of a hobby knife, I decided to creat some battle damage with a blasted out chunk there too.. Bent fenders for wear and the tracks are indeed the kit provided rubber band style tracks from Tamiya..
The turret was a lot of fun. I started with replacing the optics guard with spare photoetch metal to appear thinner, then added the weld bead around the front half of the turret just behind the mantlet.. liking the idea of a dust cover for the mantlet, I decided to give it a go.. I first tried to work out how to give the appearance of the accordion shape of the dust cover where it would need to flex for the barrel to move up and down.. The answer was to use stretched sprue wrapped around in four or five rows from behind the mantlet back to the weld seam I had just created.. then using adhesive foil form the dust cover.. to frame it out I used more scrap photoetch.. all the grab handles on the turret are also made from lead wire and I lost the .50 Cal machine gun so I found a .30 Cal in my spares instead.. added some texture to the top of the turret with Mr. Surfacer 1000 and then primed in black stynlrez.. White highlights layer after that and then paint and modulation with Ak interactive paints for arbrush.. weathering with artist oils and pigments from Vallejo.. I hope you enjoy it as much as I did building this old ” long in the tooth ” kit classic from Tamiya..
6 additional images. Click to enlarge.