TBD-1 DEVASTATOR from Airfix in 1/72, an experiment…
TBD-1 DEVASTATOR from Airfix in 1/72 scale
Hello, after a long break I have a new, but very old NAVY plane for you.
TBD-1 DEVASTATOR from Airfix in 1/72 scale. I represent a plane of VT-8 from USS HORNET. Note: The overpainted “8 –“ on the fuselage is intentionally.
The special thing about the kit: This time I took apart an old, already built kit from Airfix, to build it a second time. I did this because I am an Airfix fan and this old kit is hard to find or very expensive. I decided to make an experiment just to see if I can do a job better than the first try.
I carefully disassembled the kit and put it in oven cleaner. After about 2 hours I was able to carefully wash off the old paint with a dish brush. Since the old kit is over 50 years old, it has typical features of that time: rows of rivets that are much too large, a rudimentary cockpit and canopy parts that are too thick.
I decided to leave most of this vintage kit parts as it is, except the canopy. I heated transparent plastic film over a candle flame and pulled it over the old canopy, bt I did not managed to make this in one piece.
I pimped the cockpit with some scratch build parts to bring a little more life in it (ie. the fire extinguisher).
To make it clear, there are many kits out there who will represent the TBD-1 way better than this old piece of plastic, but I have a heart for vintage kits like this one, esp. Airfix kits.
I have use AK-Real Colors:
# RC256 Blue Grey
# RC220 Light Gull Grey
# RC262 US int. Yellow Green
I am very satisfied with those colors, but the Blue Grey appears a little to bright in my opinion.
Hope you guys like the pictures, the next plane will leave my workbench in a few days, an Airfix Vought Kingfisher in 1/72 scale
28 additional images. Click to enlarge.