Profile Photo

  • 11 articles
  • 665 karma
  • 3 friends

My 2020 build log

I started this year with Revell’s 1/48 Typhoon finished in the RAF Battle of Britain 75th anniversary display scheme.


I then moved on to two old 1/32 Revell kits that I picked up for £10 each.
The Corsair has very little internal detail so I used this kit to practise scratch building. I made up a lot of the interior bulkheads and wheel wells, added details to the cockpit and added the window under the cockpit floor.

I converted the Mosquito from a fighter bomber to a nightfighter with a resin nose kit. I know that there are other changes I should have made such as the canopy, but I couldn’t find replacements for these.

A differrent, and fun, build came next. Italeri’s 1/12 F-104 cockpit kit. The colours used in the instructions don’t match reference pictures so there’s a bit of artistic licence employe in places. Adding all of the thiny details to the instruments was time consuming but well worth it. I would love it of Italeri re-issue the F-16 kit again or even release other kits like this.

Two new kits finished out the year for me, both Airfix and 1/48. The Tiger Moth is a great kit to practise rigging as there isn’t too much of it and it’s relatively easy to postition. I added the Eduard PE kit to add detail and used a mixture of PE and lycra lines for the rigging and control cables.

Finally, I built the Mk.1 Tropical Hurricane. I wanted to try weathering on this one as up until now my kits had been cleanly finished. I used hairspray chipping and pastels to attempt a battered, well-worn finish to the Hurricane as I’m sure that the North African theatre environment was not forgiving.


5 responses to My 2020 build log

  1. You had a good year, Matt, all good looking models.

  2. Very nice collection, Matt.
    Especially that F104 cockpit is awesome.

  3. like it, esp. the Typhoon in RAF WWI scheme!

  4. Love them all, Matt.
    Excellent builds!
    Happy 2021!

  5. Way to go Matt – some nice builds!

Leave a Reply