1/48 RAAF Tiger Moth – de Havilland 100 Group Build.
This is the new Airfix kit built as an Australian bird that was assigned to 8 Squadron, RAAF, in Malaya in 1941-42. 8 Squadron was a Hudson bomber unit so we can surmise that this Moth was a squadron utility hack. I found a photo of it crushed in a hangar collapse on the excellent ADF Serials website.
The kit was a real joy to build. Zero problems. If you choose to build a wartime Tiger Moth, make sure to remove the navigation lights from the top wings and rudder. They had none! I didn’t realize this until the plane was about 95% complete and had to slice them off and touch up. Airfix provides tabs on the bottom of the windscreens to fit into slots on top of the fuselage. Remove the tabs and fill the slots. It’s easier and neater. I added Eduard seat belts, scrap PE throttles and fabricated a fuel line from brass rod. Paint is all Humbrol enamels, the yellow surfaces were primed with Tamiya white spray can primer. Decals are a combination of kit roundels and fin flashes with Xtradecal and Fantasy Print Shop codes. Final coat of Testors semigloss clear to blend it all together. Rigging is EZ Line with brass rod for stiffeners between the wings. It will be interesting to see what Airfix does next with these molds. Lots of possibilities. Thanks for viewing!
15 additional images. Click to enlarge.