1/72 Hasegawa Rockwell OV-10 Bronco
I started this simple little kit around 1980 when I was still in college. I was quite ambitious at the time by cutting out the flaps and cutting off the cargo door, planning to detail the interior. At the time I numbered the flaps and wing with a “magic marker”, which created a challenge when painting the upper wing white many years later.
Fast forward 41 years and I decided it was no time like the present to finish this little s****r! I had made myself a challenge to not start any new kits without first finishing any kits that I had previously started, even ones from 40 years ago.
I decided that interior detailing of the cargo bay wasn’t really necessary so I glued the rear door /hatch back on. I replaced the basic kit ejection seats with metal Aeroclub ones. By studying photos that I found online, I noticed that a rear bulkhead with electronic “boxes” and side consoles were required to upgrade the cockpit area. I fashioned them from sheet styrene.
The cockpit was airbrushed with my Paasche H using Mr. Color FS 36320 grey. The cockpit canopy area is made of 4 separate pieces and is the trickiest part of the kit. I masked off the frames on the inside and hand brushed the interior framing flat black before assembling the glass canopy. After blending in the canopy to the fuselage with Vallejo acrylic resin putty I then masked of the exterior framing with Tamiya tape. The entire aircraft was airbrushed with Tamiya white primer sprayed through my airbrush. Where I had used felt pens on the flaps and wing 41 years ago kept bleeding through the primer. I finally figured out that the lacquer based primer was activating the marker ink. I sprayed flat acrylic white on the flaps and wing areas which sealed the black ink from bleeding through the paint.
Confusion reigned when determining what colour the undersides were to be painted. Many sources said it was white while others said light grey. I went with white as that was the easiest with the primer already being white. I figured with a little weathering to tone down the white, it would be a good compromise. The green areas were airbrushed with Tamiya olive drab lightened about 15% to simulate sun fading. 30% lighter olive drab was airbrushed on the center of panels to make the paint look multi toned instead of all one tone. Prior to decaling I airbrushed a coat of Future over the aircraft to provide a glossy finish for the decals to adhere to. I used an ancient Microscale decal sheet for the Bronco selecting an aircraft from the USMC VMO-1 squadron. Luckily the decals performed perfectly,m which isn’t always the case when using older decals. I clear coated the Bronco with Vallejo flat acrylic. Underneath aircraft weathering was done by airbrushing thin light grey acrylic paint at high pressure to get a fine mist.
A wash made from lighter fluid and black and brown artist’s oil paint was brush painted onto panel lines, riveted areas etc. Any excess was wiped off using a Q-Tip. A nice affect was obtained when the oil based wash “stained” the acrylic flat clear coat, simulating oil build up etc. The antenna wire was made using black EZ Line.
Compared to modern kits, this one lacks detail, but I was very pleased with the overall look of the finished model. My favourite part of the aircraft is the shark mouth center tank which came from a left over decal sheet.
15 additional images. Click to enlarge.