Revell/Italeri 1:72 HO4S-1 Chickasaw
This is the second of the 1:72 helicopters I built for my club's 2021 theme build of Rescue and Recovery. It's mostly the Revell H-19A kit, but I also purchased a copy of the Italeri H-19B kit and used some of its parts interchangeably. I wanted to do something really eye-catching, so I went with one of the options on a Print Scale sheet: a Navy HO4S-1 of HC-1 stationed at NAAS Ream Field outside of San Diego around 1965.
It was a reasonably straightforward build, although I had trouble getting it to sit evenly on all four wheels and had to pull one of the nose wheels out and insert a piece of guitar string which allowed me to adjust its height to match the others. I fashioned the ventral tail antenna mast out of stretched sprue and the dorsal blade antenna out of .010" sheet styrene. The dorsal antenna should be further forward, just behind the national insignia, but I didn't notice the mislocation of the molded fairing until the model was all painted, so I took the easy way out.
For paint, I used a bottle of Model Master enamel ANA 634 Fluorescent Red FS 28915 that I happened to find on the clearance table of a local hobby shop. The color OOB appeared a little too red, so I mixed in some Model Master International orange 1-to-4 to more closely match my FS595 chip. In doing so I was unwittingly a victim of Print Scale's shoddy (read lack of) research. They stated 1959 as the date depicted, during which ANA 634 was in use. However, I later discovered (after the model was completed), that HC-1 (originally HU-1) wasn't so designated until 1965, by which time the color in use was ANA 633, FS 28913, for which the Model Master color is a pretty good match being somewhat redder. Oh well; apparently Fluorescent Red drifted toward orange as it weathered, so I'm still in the ballpark. Neither Print Scale nor the kits provided the yellow/black tail warning area, so I masked and painted it. To simulate the open grills at the nose I used liberal amounts of Tamiya black panel line accent color.
The markings were another adventure. The NAVY designator has to fit between the top of the rear main gear strut and the nav light fairing, but the kit was engineered with the strut joint a bit too high, so the marking wouldn't fit. Further, Print Scale designed all the markings using 45-degree block letters, but available photos clearly show the postwar 60-degree letters at least for the aircraft data block and unit designator. Therefore I designed replacements using the USN Longbeach font as well as slightly reduced NAVY markings, and laser printed them.
5 additional images. Click to enlarge.