Australian Ace of the Battle of Britain.
Here is a model of a Spitfire MkI flown by the top scoring Australian Ace pilot of the Battle of Britain.
His name was Paterson Clarence Hughes. He served with 234 Squadron RAF as a flight commander.
He shared his units first aerial victory on 8 July 1940 and he began scoring heavily against the Luftwaffe the following months. He was known for his practice of attacking his targets at extremely close range.
He was credited with as many as seventeen aerial victories during the Battle of Britain. One of his victims on the 5 September may have been Oberleutnant Franz Von Werra, the only Luftwaffe pilot to escape from captivity before being killed in action on 7 September 1940 after his Spitfire was struck by flying debris from a German Dornier Do17 bomber he had just shot down. He was posthumously awarded the Distinguished Flying Cross, and was buried in England.
I used a Revell 1/32nd Spitfire Mk II kit. I know I had to do some conversion to this kit to convert it to a Mk I. But I didn't realise how much!
I modified the wing control surfaces from metal to fabric covered and sanded down the over done rib detail of the rudder and elevators. Next was the incorrect rear cockpit canopy glass which was far too short in length. I had to add front and rear frames to the glass. Next I had to correct the position and add the missing lumps and bumps on top of the engine cowling. The model has a later round intake Mk V oil cooler which is incorrect for a Mk I so I had to make a correctly shaped oil cooler by modifying the kit supplied Mk V round oil cooler. I used a left over Hasegawa 1/32nd Mk V kit propeller spinner, as the kit supplied one is far too short and I also used a left over carb. intake from the same Hasegawa kit as the intake part from the Revell kit is so small, more like the size of one for a 1/48th scale kit.
I used wheels, cockpit door and seat from Barracuda Cast and seat belts from RB Production.
The Revell kit itself go together very well with good fit but I was very disappointed with its accuracy and for a fairly new kit it has lots of flash on the small parts.
I used the kit decals for the roundels and stencils and hand painted the code letters. The serial numbers were from Ventura Decals.
I mixed Tamiya paints for the camouflage colours.
I used EZ line for the aerial wires.
I am very happy I now have a decent model of a 1/32nd Spitfire Mk I.
18 additional images. Click to enlarge.