18 - 1/48 Tamiya A10-A Thunderbolt II (Warthog)
So this was definitely a build I was looking forward to and avoiding till my skills improved (a little at least) but I had to do it, it kept staring at me.
So I pulled it out and just got going with my limited skills and a lot of advice from more experienced modellers.
I added an Eduard Photo Etch kit to it, and upgraded the Gau-8 Cannon with a PE one as well - my first time using photo etch so it was quite a learning process. It took a long time on the build but I really enjoyed working with it.
I used my favourite technique for preshading so far which is black basing, starting with a primer layer of Vallejo Black primer then going over it with random patterns with a white Tamiya paint. I went heavier in some sections and lighter in others to increase the randomness and variety.
After that it was onto the 3 colour camouflage, building it up slowly so the preshading didn't get covered up. Once that was on a gloss coat and then panel line highlights and Decals. I love decalling (I know I'm one of those wierd ones), so really enjoyed adding the stencils and all the details, the sharkmouth however was pretty daunting and I had to be very careful.
Then, as you all know the firepower that comes with a Warthog is immense, onto the ordnance, I really wanted to get these looking really nice to go with the rest of the build so I got some ordnance decals to add to them and painted and decalled them up as best I could.
Next came a matt coat and out came the oils for some weathering - a lot of the references show the Warthog looking quite dirty but not overly weathered so I added the oils onto the ailerons, and around panel hatches and a few streaks behind different parts that are raised.
I sealed it off with a satin finish and then I called it DONE.
You can have a look at the progress of the build here - https://imodeler.com/groups/work-in-progress-aircraft/forum/topic/tamiya-1-48-a-10a-thunderbolt-ii-warthog/
10 additional images. Click to enlarge.