Profile Photo
Steve Oakson
31 articles

P-26 Peashooter

August 22, 2022 · in Aviation · · 8 · 1K

This is the old kit. I picked this up from a friend at a contest last year. I had wanted to do one for a long time. I saw decals for this model when I was perusing the internet one day and knew I had to do this bird. - This build is basically OOB. Really, the only additions to the build were the wires and antenna lines. The strengthening wires were different sizes of metal wires. The antenna lines are EZ Line. - The interior was sprayed with Tamiya AS-12 then brush painted all other details. - The fuselage was painted with Tamiya Khaki Drab. Wings are painted with Tamiya spray can Camel yellow. -Alclad gloss coat was applied before dealing. The decals around the Townsend ring were really a problem to get to lay down correctly. All other decals were no problem, but I did need to touch up spots. I used ModelMaster insignia red and the Camel yellow with decanted spray paint on a brush. - The lines were added as the final add-ons.

Reader reactions:
13  Awesome

7 additional images. Click to enlarge.

8 responses

  1. Great job! Love these Yellow Wing birds!

  2. Very nice, Steve. That's a great scheme. You got a good result.

    The Hasegawa P-26 is an excellent kit even nearly 50 years later.

    1 attached image. Click to enlarge.

  3. Wow! Oakson goes nuts. I didn't see the other 3 till now. This is a stunner, what a color combo. Amazing how well this old biscuit stands up. Guess what's on my bench right now? And it's not a You-Nited States bird.

  4. Very vice! I have always liked the design of the P-26...soooo Art Deco. Here is my 1/48 Hobby Craft build.

    1 attached image. Click to enlarge.

    • Very nice. Hope you didn’t have decals issues as tough as this was

      • I used Yellow Wings decals for all of the markings. These decals were fairly strong so I could get them to conform to the complex curves around the landing gear spats, headrest combing, and the leading edges of the vertical and horizontal fins. I would apply several coats of Micro Set to soften the decals and then "tease" them and mold them into place using a blunt tooth pick or paint brush. With patience and multiple applications, they worked out fine.

  5. Another truly superb result, Steve!

  6. Very nice result, Steve @jimmiesteve
    Those Peashooters do look great in this scheme.

Leave a Reply