Revell Henschel Hs129B2

Started by John vd Biggelaar · 96 · 2 years ago
  • Profile Photo
    Greg Kittinger said 2 years, 11 months ago:

Looking great! I was amazed at how small these actually were when I recently finished mine. You tend to think of twin-engined aircraft being larger than this is!

• Profile Photo
    John vd Biggelaar said 2 years, 11 months ago:

Thanks for your comments Spiros (@fiveten), Greg (@gkittinger).
    Sofar this is a really nice kit, every progress steps seems to go without issues, hopefully Murphey is not around the corner to step in.
    Currently applying the decals, main decals are ready and next up are the tiny ones.
    Still being able to choose for open and closed canopy.
    Did also experiment a bit on the exhaust stains and I'm pretty happy with the outcome.
    The spinners were painted with a technique I learned from our friend Rodney @f2g1d which worked very well.
    Enjoy the weekend.

• Profile Photo
    Spiros Pendedekas said 2 years, 11 months ago:

Decalling looks great, my friend @johnb, as well as the spinners (have to check Rodney's technique again, I have forgotten it!).

• Profile Photo
    John vd Biggelaar said 2 years, 11 months ago:

@fiveten, Thanks Spiros, this is the article where I found the technique used by Rodney.

British Typhoon
  • Profile Photo
    Pedro L. Rocha said 2 years, 11 months ago:

@johnb It’s looking very sharp John!
    The colour contrast looks spot on

• Profile Photo
    John Healy said 2 years, 11 months ago:

Very nice, John.

• Profile Photo
    Spiros Pendedekas said 2 years, 11 months ago:

Thanks for the link, my friend @johnb!

• Profile Photo
    Erik Gjørup said 2 years, 10 months ago:

Such a beautiful build - looking forward to the last bits!

• Profile Photo
    Gary Brantley said 2 years, 10 months ago:

Man, that plane looks great @johnb! Your cockpit just looks superb sir, what beautiful work you've done here! 🙂

• Profile Photo
    Eric Berg said 2 years, 10 months ago:

You’ve rounded the last curve and heading down the straight away to the checkered flag @johnb! You’ve done an excellent job here. I built the Hasegawa version with the underside canon and winter camo. Your build has inspired me to pick up another one of these and do a better job.

Yank those canopy masks off so we can see it in all its glory!

• Profile Photo
    John vd Biggelaar said 2 years, 10 months ago:

@fiveten, @holzhamer, @j-healy, @airbum, @garybrantley, thanks a lot for the encouraging words.
    @eb801, thanks Eric, canopy masks are off.

The Henschel is nearing completion, some minor improvements still to be done.

Still looking for a good location or background to shoot the pictures.
    For this camo scheme, a white background results in a too dark plane.

• Profile Photo
    Walt said 2 years, 10 months ago:

Turning out really nice John, @johnb, the paint looks great. The the camo looks great and flashes of color add interest and to the generic Luftwaffe paint scheme.

• Profile Photo
    Pedro L. Rocha said 2 years, 10 months ago:

@johnb
    John, I usually use black, grey or light blue as background for my models. Run some colors as background until you find the one you consider best, that’s my 2 cents of opinion.
    Great looking 129, the colors are quite sharp and the model really looks perfect.
    The only thing I personally feel to add is a bit more matt effect in the varnish

• Profile Photo
    Colin Gomez said 2 years, 10 months ago:

The Henschel looks fantastic, John. The perfect result of a lot of very careful, skillful modelling. Interesting that you learned the prop masking technique from Rodney. Without knowing about Rodney's article, I came up with a nearly identical approach for my Buffalo build, making a paper tube kept to the right diameter with a cylindrical marker with masking tape on the inside.

I also showed a perhaps easier technique (which I haven't personally tried yet) using rubber heat shrink tubing that works well at smaller scales. In any case, the effect of the masking you have done is great. You went farther than I did in getting three colors, keeping the white band exactly even in width. BTW, I am not sure you necessarily needed a more matt finish. Just my humble personal opinion but , based on photos of real warbirds in the field, I think it looks quite authentic the way it is. I've also found that models I have matt coated look a bit glossy when the paint is fresh and fade to more matt/eggshell after a week or so. Just my two cents worth.

• Profile Photo
    John Healy said 2 years, 10 months ago:

Looks great, John. Removing the canopy masking is always a fun moment! I like the finish a lot. German paints were semi-gloss and yours looks very similar to quality color pics from the war.