Heller's 1/72 Heinkel He-112 (Romania)

Started by Bob Torres · 41 · 2 years ago · 1/72, He-112, Heller
  • Profile Photo
    Spiros Pendedekas said 2 years, 4 months ago:

Nice to see the sweet Heller kit put together, my friend @v1pro! It will be a great OOB build with the extras you add.
    Looking forward to it!

• Profile Photo
    Bob Torres said 2 years, 4 months ago:

Lis @lis and Spiros @fiveten, this is a nice kit. It reminds me of the old Monogram kits on how the kit goes together. I am keeping this build simple, the overall look of this kit looks pretty accurate and sharp.

• Profile Photo
    Greg Kittinger said 2 years, 4 months ago:

I've got one of these in the stash - interesting to see what you're going to make out of it!

• Profile Photo

Hi Greg @gkittinger, I am curious myself too. I am hoping to capture the right Romanian look when it is done. It should look a bit more colorful compared to my Rareplane He-112 Spanish Civil War build.

• Profile Photo
    Jay Mitchell said 2 years, 4 months ago:

Looks good already, Bob (@v1pro). I didn’t think Heller was a very good brand of models, but this 112 looks pretty decent.

• Profile Photo

Thanks Jay @ssgt, some Heller kits are pretty nice and some are primitive. Their early ones are in a slightly smaller scale like 1/75 instead of 1/72. Like most older kits, beauty is in the eyes of the modeler…I am in one FB group dedicated to Heller kits and have seen some amazing builds.

• Profile Photo
    Bob Torres said 2 years, 3 months ago:

Not much filler was needed. I did not use any putty but did use some slightly thick white Tamiya paint to fill any small gaps on the wing root and tail plane areas. Then the landing gears were glued on.

4 attached images. Click to enlarge.

• Profile Photo

I used Tamiya paints, the top two paints were XF-23 for the black green RLM 70, the dark green RLM 71 had to be mixed, and the underside was XF-23 RLM 45 light blue. Then I airbrushed a Future gloss coats.

• Profile Photo

Masked the fuselage, both wing tips and under the engine's cowling to airbrush the yellow. Next gloss coat the yellow areas and later on applying the decals will start.

• Profile Photo
    Spiros Pendedekas said 2 years, 3 months ago:

Great progress, my friend @v1pro!
    Looking forward to it!

• Profile Photo
    Eric Berg said 2 years, 3 months ago:

Looking good Bob. Interestingly enough those are the same colors and markings I just finished this morning for the Fw 190A-5 I'm working on. I'm also at the decal stage. I'll be watching yours as you near the finish line.

I have built only one Heller kit ever and it was a GMC CCKW fire truck that went together quite well. I have been eyeing that Heller 1/72 Contstellation. Any word on this?

1 attached image. Click to enlarge.

• Profile Photo
    John vd Biggelaar said 2 years, 3 months ago:

Some great paintwork, Bob @v1pro
    Looking forward to the decals.

• Profile Photo

I have finished the "cousin" Heller EC-121 Warning Star, my friend @eb801.
    Neither too modern nor too detailed, but it went together well.

• Profile Photo

Thank you Eric @eb801, John @johnb, and Spiros @fiveten. I hope to have this done before the clock strikes 12 - mid night and 2022 begins. The decals are on, most of it comes from a RS Models He-112 with Romanian markings. The insignias comes from the Heller kit which needed to get some sun to make it a bit more white. The reason I had to use the Heller decals was because the RS Models insignias white background was not in register. Too bad, same for one rudder blue, yellow and red strip on the blue side. I had to use a dark blue marker to cover the white, I did not notice until after the decal was applied. Otherwise I would have cut off the section that showed white. And the Romanian flag on the vertical stab on one side was missing the blue color and again I used a dark blue maker to fill in the missing blue part.

At least the decals did go on nicely, the Heller decals needed the Micro Sol to melt it down to the surface.

Tomorrow it will receive another gloss, then later the flat coat. Then the rest goes on, canopy, antenna, pitot probe, propeller, and wheels.

Eric @eb801,I had the Heller Constellation kit back in the 80’s but never built it. I traded it in for another plane. Looks like Spiros just built one.

If I don’t have this finish before 2022 begins, may all of you have a Happy New Year!

1 attached image. Click to enlarge.

• Profile Photo

Nice progress, my friend @v1pro!
    Looking forward to its completion!