1/72 Privateer – enhanced Matchbox build

Started by Greg Kittinger · 44 · 5 years ago · 1/72, PB4Y-2, privateer
  • Profile Photo
    Louis Gardner said 6 years, 1 month ago:

Looks great Greg !

• Profile Photo
    Greg Kittinger said 6 years ago:

I've got the Privateer ready for decals - just need to give the gloss-coat a few days to harden. Meanwhile I've been working on the nose turret (pics soon) and some work on the inside of the canopy. I added some glare shields, using thin clear plastic from dental floss packaging painted with Tamiya clear green (I had an issue with the tape residue, so I'm not 100% pleased with how they turned out), and then an upper console with rib attachments - both cut from styrene - and some wiring using painted copper wire. From reference files, it looks like there were actually some manufacturer plates that faced upward through the plexiglass, so I used some Mike Grant instrument decals to mimic that. I may have made one mistake: I didn't paint the console stringers where they were glued to the inside of the canopy, thinking that once I paint the outside of the canopy frame it would cover it up. However, I didn't account for the thickness of the plastic (it is vac-form, so thinner than the kit-supplied canopy). It's possible a bit of that white may peek through! I'm hoping not, but if it does after I paint, I may have to pull the console out and paint that, then re-glue back in.

2 attached images. Click to enlarge.

• Profile Photo

As promised, here are a few pics of the detailing I did for the nose ball turret. What's still missing is the slanted clear piece of plexiglass that sits right in front of the gunner. I assume that is a gun sight, as there is already a piece of armor to the starboard side of the pilot. I'll wait until I'm done spraying dullcoat after weathering to apply all those last-minute clear pieces. I'll also add the gun barrels after I actually put the top on, so everything gets lined up nicely. I grabbed a pilot out of my spares box, as no gunner was provided. In this turret, it appears the shell belts were fed through an enclosed track - that's the green vertical piece you see attached to the outside of each gun. Gun camera & cable to port of pilot and some armor to starboard.

2 attached images. Click to enlarge.

• Profile Photo

Aircraft painted and decals are on - now begins the many-layered process of weathering and detailing. Got the engines painted and washed, started the chipping around the nacelles, wings and leading edges (to be finished once all panel lines are drawn), and now working on adding panel line detail. Tedious - using tape and chalk powders. I also used Tamiya Weathering masters to lighten the control surfaces, but in hindsight wish I'd done it differently - I won't do that again! But after oils I'm hoping to tone it down differently. What I'm learning here I plan to apply to a PBJ build in the near future.

3 attached images. Click to enlarge.

• Profile Photo
    Jeff Bailey said 6 years ago:

Outstanding, Greg! I really like your use of cut wire to replicate rounds for the machine guns. Very clever, Sir!

This has turned out great and I look forward to the finish.

Bravo!

• Profile Photo
    Greg Kittinger said 5 years, 11 months ago:

Ok - almost there - here's a quick snapshot of the panel line work done on the underside, just before I laid down an oil filter to knock back the brightness of the white. Panel lines were made with .02 pencil and pastel chalk powders. I've added some additional oil staining since these pics with Tensocrom, and darkened the exhaust staining, and some other detail work.

I was a bit disappoint how much the panel line work disappeared on the dark blue of the upper surfaces. I'm now going to need to work a bit more to bring some "life" to those huge slabs of dark area.

You can see that I unfortunately had a bad case of decal silvering. They looked like they were going down excellently, and I had really prepped the surface (I thought), but after everything dried - well, it speaks for itself. I'm still messing with them, trying all the tricks to make more of it disappear. They were all aftermarket, and sometimes you just never know...

3 attached images. Click to enlarge.

• Profile Photo
    Tom Bebout said 5 years, 11 months ago:

Looking good Greg. You may want to try taking a pin and poke little holes in those silvering areas, then hit them again with MicroSol. Sometimes that works.

• Profile Photo
    david leigh-smith said 5 years, 11 months ago:

Greg, I love to see this type of modelling. You take a 40 year old hunk of plastic and work it into a little piece of history. The scratch building is superb and as you say, the challenges you've overcome here will set you up for the PBJ.

We are alway our own worse critics (I read that here recently, now that I think of it...). To me, she's full of life, and you can almost feel the hours you've put into the project.

Fantastic work and I'm hoping you will be doing a WiP log with the Mitchell?

• Profile Photo

@dirtylittlefokker - If I end up doing some significant detail work on the PBJ, I'll include a WIP thread. I don't like to bore folks if it's close to OOB...

• Profile Photo

That's the sort of boring we live for, Greg!

• Profile Photo

This is probably the last update prior to me finishing this monster! I'm painting the canopy frames, turret frames, adding the final aerials and rigging, and finishing up the props - then will pop the turrets in place, blister gun barrels and the props, and call it done! Although I made my usual few mistakes, I'm pretty happy with this one... Here's the last pic I'll show prior to reveal: now that I'm done spraying, I added the bullet proof glass to the blister turrets (using clear packaging plastic from dental floss - it was more thin than any other clear plastic I had on hand).

• Profile Photo

Fantastic work - I'm sad to see this one wind up. If you do the build thread for the PBJ - I'm definitely in.

• Profile Photo
    Greg Kittinger said 5 years, 10 months ago:

Finished today! It'll take me a couple of weeks until I have headline post pics ready as I'm taking this to a couple of contests over the next couple of weeks, but here's some shots from the bench. Overall I'm pleased, though my two biggest issues do show up in these pics: decal silvering (which I couldn't get solved by any of the usual methods), and my own mistake when supergluing the replacement canopy/deck section in. I test fitted fine, but once I got glue on it, I misaligned it and it set up on top of the fuselage in front of it. I sanded down as much as I thought I could get away with, but it obviously sticks up. I just have to go slower and be more careful. I would have used Gator Glue but the vac formed canopy need to be "spread" a bit to fit at the back end, so I wanted a better bond.

7 additional images. Click to enlarge.

• Profile Photo
    Louis Gardner said 5 years, 10 months ago:

Man oh man it sure looks good ! The "signature" stand is very neat too...

The details you captured in a 1/72 scale are some things I could only wish for in my typical 1/48 (or even 1/32) scale builds. You nailed it Greg...

Please keep us posted on how it does at the shows. I'm looking forward to seeing the reveal article...

Well done my friend.