1/48 Special Hobby T-2C Buckeye

Started by Boris Rakic · 6 · 6 years ago · 1/48, Buckeye, Special Hobby, T-2C, WIP
  • Profile Photo
    Boris Rakic said 6 years, 9 months ago:

Hi everyone,
    I had this one sitting on the shelf for a couple of months, waiting for its cockpit to be fixed. The SH Buckeye is a good kit and comes with a resin cockpit and some PE. Sure, it is somewhat of a short-run kit with fit issues which require careful test fitting and lots of patience. But the detail is all there, and it is a subject you do not see too often.

What put me off for some time was the idea of having to hack the cockpit apart in order to raise the rear portion. Without modification, it sits noticeably too low, and the poor backseat driver wouldn't be able to see out the windows...

Sadly, I did not take any pictures during the build process, so I can only share the recent progress on painting. The whole thing was primed with Tamiya XF-1 Flat Black, afterwards I traced the camo scheme with a thin white pencil. The camo was sprayed freehand, using Lifecolor Acrylics and starting with FS36440, followed by FS36231 and FS35164. I added some corrosion control and painted-over patches, using a pic of the real thing as a reference.

Right now I am waiting for the gloss coat (Tamiya X-22) to dry, then I will mask off the areas to be painted black, like the nose and wing leading edges.

4 attached images. Click to enlarge.

• Profile Photo
    Jaime Carreon said 6 years, 9 months ago:

Boris, that looks very familiar. I finished mine a while ago and had many of the fit and alignment issues as well. Mine was partially built when I got it, but I did not notice any problems with the rear cockpit sitting too low.

What impressed me most was Special Hobby's customer service. The kit was missing several of the smaller resin parts, and after emailing them to ask for replacements, they sent the entire resin package, including the cockpit!

If you're interested, here is mine. It's in the standard US Navy training scheme from a unit in my home state of Texas.

North American T-2C Buckeye Special Hobby 1/48
  • Profile Photo
    Greg Kittinger said 6 years, 9 months ago:

Coming along nicely!

• Profile Photo
    Craig Abrahamson said 6 years, 9 months ago:

Don't think I've ever seen one dressed up in anything but the orange/white training colors such as Jaime's. Yours looks like it's gonna be a real "eye-catcher" - looking forward to seeing the end result(s).

• Profile Photo
    Jeff Bailey said 6 years, 9 months ago:

Outstanding!

• Profile Photo
    Boris Rakic said 6 years, 9 months ago:

Thanks guys!

Jaime, that is an excellent job you did there - I love that white/orange scheme! Yeah, the rear cockpit floor sits a bit too low (about 2mm), resulting in the rear seat sitting too low as well. Easy solution would be to shim the seat with some sheet styrene, but stupid as I am I had to alter the whole cockpit...

Craig, I plan on doing a whole line of US Navy trainers, as far as kits are available. And I'd like to have some paint scheme variation, so the aggressor scheme came quite handy!

Anyway, some progress has been made. Before masking off the areas to be painted black or white, I gloss coated the whole thing with Tamiya X-22, thinned with Gunze Levelling Thinner. I found that masking over a glossy surface reduces the risk of paint creeping under the masking tape. The whole masking process is somewhat tedious, but worth it.

The leading edges got a coat of Tamiya XF-1 Flat Black, the walkways on the wings XF-85 Rubber Black, and the wheel wells X-1 Gloss White. The decals went on without any issues and where sealed in with another coat of X-22.

Next up: Weathering with oils and Mig Panel Line Washes. I love that part!

3 attached images. Click to enlarge.