An unusual 109 – Swiss AF, F-2 to F-4 conversion

Started by Dmitry Stropalov · 24 · 8 years ago · 109, me109, swiss, zvezda
  • Profile Photo
    Bernd Müller said 8 years, 9 months ago:

Stunning work Dimitry !

• Profile Photo
    Dmitry Stropalov said 8 years, 9 months ago:

Some updates. During fuselage assembly I've used to cut out rudder (but now it will be easier to paint it). Fuselage and wings glued together, but will need sanding.

1 attached image. Click to enlarge.

• Profile Photo
    Bernd Müller said 8 years, 9 months ago:

Looks pretty good, Dimitry. Guess most kits need help at this stage

• Profile Photo
    Greg Kittinger said 8 years, 8 months ago:

Since I only build 1/72, I'm really enjoying seeing how much detail you are putting into this build. Looking really good so far!

• Profile Photo
    Dmitry Stropalov said 8 years, 8 months ago:

Thanks, Greg! 1/72is my favorite scale too, even for AFV.

Surprisingly, it was not so easy as I've expected. Snap fit kit lacks accuracy at some points. But now all is ok and ready for painting.

1 attached image. Click to enlarge.

• Profile Photo

So, it's time for updates. It was a long story. For the bottom side I've used Mr.Surfacer 1000 and it was ok, but it has ended. So I've picked up another can of Mr.Surfacer 1500 and it was frustrating, because somehow all upper surfaces becomes scratchy after priming. I haven't tried a new can on something before that, so that's the result...

I was used to sand again all of the upper surfaces of the model and then re-scribe panel lines. Not a very motivating exercise.

After that I've applied white for national insignia crosses, then masked them out and applied red color. Also I've masked everything around, because it will be difficult to overlap red with blue or green. Also yellow was applied for the cowling. Now I'll give a time to dry - one or two days.

2 attached images. Click to enlarge.

• Profile Photo

Paint works completed. Need to fix white on crosses at some points. Now it's time for some weathering and decals.

• Profile Photo
    Bernd Müller said 8 years, 8 months ago:

That looks pretty amazing, Dimitry ! Lovely build so far.

• Profile Photo

Done! I've used pigments for the final weathering. Final photos here – http://imodeler.com/2015/08/bf-109f-4-zvezda-172/