Armory Models 1/48 Fairey Flycatcher "early version"

Started by Tom Cleaver · 25 · 2 years ago
  • Profile Photo
    Tom Cleaver said 3 years, 2 months ago:

Another Golden Age Classic. The Fairey Flycatcher, built and operated by the Fleet Air Arm between 1924-33, was the first designed-for-the-purposed carrier-based fighter. It was said to have "the performance of the Camel and the handling of the Pup," a good combination for the early days of putting airplanes on ships.

This is the first kit of the Fairey Flycatcher since Merit brought out theirs nearly 60 years ago (later re-released by Pyro, Lifelike and Lindberg over the years). While that is an excellent kit, it is "long in the tooth." This new kit, by Armory Models in Ukraine, is very obviously someone's "labor of love." Far more detailed than the earlier kit, everything is more petite than it was possible to mold way back then. All control surfaces are separate, the cockpit is fully detailed, and the fabric surface detail is excellent - even the area of the "turtleback" and the lower rear fuselage that I though was overdone is in fact not overdone when period photos are consulted.

It's not a project for the biplane-phobic or the inexperienced. It's another of those "high level limited run kits" that Ukrainian model companies are doing these days. As with a lot of first-edition limited-run projects, it has a lot of photoetch for small detail, but with care it's not a problem. I've substituted an Eduard photoetch Sutton harness for the p-e harness in the kit just because it's already painted and detailed.

The kit provides markings for all the carrier flights that operated the early-version Flycatcher. There is also a "late production version" and one fitted with floats as other kits in the series. The floatplane is interesting - they were used to fight Chinese pirates around Hong Kong in the 20s and 30s. The period action movie writes itself as I think of it.

If you aren't biplane-phobic and you have experience with limited-run kits, this isn't difficult if you take your time.

Painting is next - aluminum doped fabric and polished aluminum around the forward fuselage.

5 attached images. Click to enlarge.

• Profile Photo
    Spiros Pendedekas said 3 years, 2 months ago:

Great subject, not often seen built and excellent progress so far, @tcinla.
    Looking forward to it.

• Profile Photo
    John vd Biggelaar said 3 years, 2 months ago:

Very nice subject, Tom @tcinla
    Progress so far looks great, eagerly waiting for the end result.

• Profile Photo
    George R Blair Jr said 3 years, 2 months ago:

Looks awesome, Tom (@tcinla), but one too many wings for me. It looks very intricate and fragile, even in 1/48.

• Profile Photo

Now with primer. Semi-gloss black TamiyaX-18 for the fabric areas, Gloss Black Tamiya X-1 for the forward fuselage. The fabric areas will be done with Valley White Aluminum and then sprayed with a clear coat that will have the area looking like aluminum dope, while I will use Vallejo Aluminum over the gloss black, which should result in a "polished aluminum" look.

I'm doing the boxart airplane from HMS Furious in 1929.

3 attached images. Click to enlarge.

• Profile Photo

Nice steps, @tcinla!

• Profile Photo

Good progress, Tom @tcinla
    The Vallejo aluminum will give it a great finish.

• Profile Photo
    Bill Koppos said 3 years, 2 months ago:

A Flycatcher indeed. With all those struts and wires it definitely could. Boy the Ukraine plastic people are giving us the goods these days.

• Profile Photo
    Greg Kittinger said 3 years, 2 months ago:

That's a nifty little project! Looking good.

• Profile Photo

Painted and decals.

The fabric areas - wings, rear fuselage, tail surfaces - were painted with Tamiya XF-16 Flat aluminum thinned 50-50 with clear gloss and Tamiya X-20 thinner, for the doped fabric. The forward fuselage and landing gear was done with Vallejo Aluminum over Tamiya X-1 gloss black to get the "polished aluminum" look.

The decals went on very nicely under a coat of Solvaset. The colors are very accurate.

Next up is the resin engine. No way to use the resin exhaust stacks, which broke when looked at directly. Some Evergreen rod is the only likelihood.

4 attached images. Click to enlarge.

• Profile Photo

Looking amazing, my friend @tcinla!
    Love the tire decals.
    Pity about the resin exhaust stacks...

• Profile Photo

Very nice progress, Tom.
    Pretty sure you will be able to create some fine looking exhausts yourself.

• Profile Photo
    John Healy said 3 years, 2 months ago:

I like the Flycatcher a lot, Tom. It looks like you replaced the cabane struts with Evergreen stock?

• Profile Photo
    Eric Berg said 3 years, 2 months ago:

TC: Just stopped by for a peek at your Flycatcher. Very nice. That lettering on the tires is pretty cool looking as well as Spiros pointed out. Have you tried Vallejo's acrylic-polyurethane black Surface primer yet? I've been testing it and so far so good, although one would have to spray a gloss coat over it as it dries with a satin look. I like that it doesn't need thinning.

• Profile Photo
    Colin Gomez said 3 years, 2 months ago:

Just catching up on this build, Tom. I did not know the Flycatcher till now. It is really quite a brutish looking tween-wars biplane fighter. I like it very much. You are doing a fine job on a quite tiny model in 1/48 (or at least to me, working mostly in 1/32 these days). Very nice silver dope effect on the wings and fuselage. Really good decal work over this as well. I tend to get too much visible carrier film on decals over metallic finishes. Yours look great. I am looking forward to seeing with the airplane with the engine on.