Ernst Udets Messerschmitt Bf 109 V14

Started by Erik Gjørup · 89 · 6 months ago · Bf109, Bf109V, Haldværk, Messerschmitt, Scratchbuild, Tamiya, Udet
  • Profile Photo
    Erik Gjørup said 1 year, 4 months ago:

Seal!

The hood got some Micro Klear to seal it for paint

. . . .and NOW it is time for masks etc.

• Profile Photo
    John vd Biggelaar said 1 year, 4 months ago:

Will fit nicely in the end, Erik @airbum
    Is it easy to remove the canopy after painting is done with this Mikro Klear.

• Profile Photo
    Spiros Pendedekas said 1 year, 4 months ago:

Looks nicely sealed, my friend @airbum!

• Profile Photo
    George R Blair Jr said 1 year, 4 months ago:

It looks like everything fits well with the canopy, Erik (@airbum). Should look good with a little paint over it.

• Profile Photo
    Erik Gjørup said 9 months, 4 weeks ago:

@johng, @fiveten, @lis, @eb801, @lgardner and @gblair, this is long overdue but now some sort of progress has been made!

Masks arrived

I finally got some masks ordered and they arrived the other day

Eager to get the job done, only to find out these masks were actually oversize!

That is, they were mostly too long, and it seems like Eduard has re-made their masks for the Tamiya 109E-3. As a result I had to trim all of the masks, not what I had expected from this manufacturer.

As far as I can tell it ended OK, but with a lot of extra work I had not expected. Still AM masks are usually a great help, just be warned if you get a new set of these for this kit, they need trimming. Now I know that, I can trim them on the sheet next time, making it easier than to trim when they are on the plane.

next up I guess it is time for paint! First some nice primer, then some sanding, more primer and perhaps a wetsanding to prepare for the final coat(s)

• Profile Photo
    George R Blair Jr said 9 months, 4 weeks ago:

Looking forward to paint, Erik (@airbum). I really like having masks for the canopy, especially if I am doing something in 1/72. I just stalled out on a Kingfisher I am building because there are no masks for this plane anymore, and I am having a hard time getting motivated to mask all of those panes of glass by hand. Luckily your masks are close enough that you can use them.

• Profile Photo
    John vd Biggelaar said 9 months, 4 weeks ago:

Canopy masks are indeed very helpful, Erik @airbum
    Looking forward to see the paint being applied.

• Profile Photo
    Spiros Pendedekas said 9 months, 4 weeks ago:

Good job with the masks, my friend @airbum! Looking forward to the painting!

• Profile Photo
    Erik Gjørup said 9 months, 3 weeks ago:

Thanks gents. I usually use grey primer @gblair, @johnb and @fiveten, but this time. . . .

Primer. . .

PINK primer. . .

Preparing for some sort of red.

First coat of primer, followed by some sanding. I have since the pictures were taken added the second coat, more sanding, and probably one more layer before the final coats.

next up I see red – I hope.

• Profile Photo
    John vd Biggelaar said 9 months, 3 weeks ago:

Great priming, Erik @airbum
    To me 'pretty in pink' is not valid in this case. Will look much better in red.

• Profile Photo
    Spiros Pendedekas said 9 months, 3 weeks ago:

Great priming, my friend @airbum!

• Profile Photo
    Cricket said 8 months, 1 week ago:

@airbum. WOW! What a build! Makes all mine look like trash! ;). Great work Erik

• Profile Photo
    George R Blair Jr said 8 months ago:

Waiting with great interest for the red paint scheme, Eric (@airbum). I have heard that pink works well under a red finish, but have never seen an entire plane done this way. I usually use white primer, which does well under most colors, especially yellow and red, but has its own set of problems.

• Profile Photo
    Erik Gjørup said 7 months, 2 weeks ago:

Thanks all - @johnb, scarlet then?, thanks @fiveten, Surely not @bikequeen, @gblair, all is revealed – sort of….

Red

Sadly I did see red..

I made a large mix of red, burgundy and thinner (Humbrol) and all went well.

Then the batch ran out with the top surface on the right wing being in primer still.

Oh, well, just mix another batch. Well, it was too thin – big time! And when dry I sanded the disaster.

First a fine sanding stick, then a 3000grit foam sander. Trying not to sand through, I did get the surface sort of even again.

The paint had made puddles and thich edges and all.

Amazing to see the LqS-filler had sunk, making “ghost-seams” here and there.

It has been very wet since this and I doubt the paint will cooperate in a moist environment – may give it a go this weekend if it stays dry for an afternoon or so. Check in later to see what happens.

• Profile Photo
    George R Blair Jr said 7 months, 2 weeks ago:

Persistence will see you through these issues, Erik (@airbum). It has been really humid here also, and it gets really frustrating trying to wait for the right conditions. I like the red. :o)