GWH 1/48th P-61 Black Widow "Nocturnal Nemesis" Build

Started by Walt · 104 · 2 years ago · 1/48, Great Wall Hobby, GWH, Nocturnal Nemesis, P-61
  • Profile Photo
    George R Blair Jr said 2 years, 11 months ago:

Thanks for the info, Walt (@luftwaffe-birdman). I just went over to Amazon and they still have the jig in stock. I may wait to get it until after I move to my new house. No need to buy it just in time to move it.

• Profile Photo
    Walt said 2 years, 11 months ago:

First coat of Future (Pledge) to prep for decals. Pretty happy with the OD look and the leading edges chipping. Having a hell of a time figuring out the checker board for the prop spinner though. The kit decals don't fit the aftermarket prop.

4 attached images. Click to enlarge.

• Profile Photo
    Spiros Pendedekas said 2 years, 11 months ago:

Looks nice and shiny, Walt! Ready for decalling!
    Looking forward to the spinners checquer board!

• Profile Photo
    John vd Biggelaar said 2 years, 11 months ago:

Great base for the decals, Walt.
    Looking forward to that step.

• Profile Photo

It's nice to see a P-61 in a color other than black, Walt (@luftwaffe-birdman). Looking forward to the decals.

• Profile Photo
    Erik Gjørup said 2 years, 11 months ago:

What a feast! Hope you get the checkers checked OK. . .

• Profile Photo

Well I have to say it has been years since I have enjoyed applying decals as much as I have with this kit. I don't know who Great Wall used to make their decals but they are some of the best and most user friendly decals I have ever used. They are not the thinnest, but are noticeably thinner than many of the Tamiya decals I have use but thicker than the tissue paper thin decals I have used. These decals lay down nicely you get a little time to move them into place and with one application of Tamiya's Mark Fit Decal Solution they settled down, adhered well, snuggled into the rivets and panel lines almost as good as paint! No wrinkles, no rips, tears or issues at all.

The Zotz decals have a very thing carrier film but the decals them self are actually thicker than I expected. The were fairly easy to move around and position and while the carrier film is very thin, it seems pretty sturdy. I used the Tamiya solution on them when I put them on, but it was very effective with the Zotz decals. I applied Walther's Solvaset Decal Solution and they just seemed to melt into surface very very nicely.

I have more to go, mostly stencils, but I couldn't wait to show off how nicely these decals are behaving! Thanks for taking a look.

6 attached images. Click to enlarge.

• Profile Photo
    John vd Biggelaar said 2 years, 11 months ago:

Indeed very nice decalling, Walt.
    Looking forward to the rest.

• Profile Photo
    Brian Kirwan said 2 years, 11 months ago:

Great looking model.Nice tone on the paint and not overdone.
    This is a big plane in 1:48th I take it?

• Profile Photo
    Eric Berg said 2 years, 11 months ago:

That's looking real sharp Walt @luftwaffe-birdman I've used Zotz decals several times and never had a problem with them. Good to know the GWH decals are good quality. I'll use their stencils, stars and bars for sure then when I get mine going. I enjoy decaling but I when I hurry or get the slight bit careless, that's when disaster strikes. And those stencils ... they sure can get tedious at times.

• Profile Photo

The decals really stand out against the OD paint, Walt (@luftwaffe-birdman). It drives me nuts when I get to this stage of the build and have trouble with the decals, so it is nice to hear about user-friendly decals.

• Profile Photo

Thanks Brian, @info4, it is a pretty big plane in real life and in 1/48th scale. The plane is comparable to the B-25 in stature and size. It's wing span is smaller, as is the overall length, but the engines are about the same spread and because of the tall tails it is about as tall. This was a big plane and the fact that it was a maneuverable as it was is a testimant to the engineering that went into it.

• Profile Photo
    Greg Kittinger said 2 years, 11 months ago:

I love the look you achieved on the OD. How did you pull that off - can you share your sequence? I've got one of these I want to do in 1/72, so looking for a good "cheat sheet!"

• Profile Photo
    Spiros Pendedekas said 2 years, 11 months ago:

Great decal job, Walt!

• Profile Photo

Thanks Greg, @gkittinger, I didn't take in progress picture but started out by using rub and buff on the the leading edges and panels I wanted to chip. The used popcorn salt to mask chips. Then I painted the panel lines with dark grey, as a preshade. For the initial coat of OD I used Model Master Olive Drab Enamel with a few drops of Panzer DunkelGelb. Which is a tan yellow, with a hint of green. OD tends to fade to the yellow side of its color, but I tried using straight yellow when I did my B-17 and didn't like it. This gave a me a nice color. A couple light coats covered nicely but I thin my paint alot so somewhat transparent, I then followed it up with Multiple layers of a mix of the OD with more of the Panzer yellow added and thinned excesively and then VERY Randomly squiggly painted over the model at various distances from the surface. I continued to lighten it up with white and added more reducer. When I say squiggle to get an idea watch the cartoon, the "Dot and the Line" by Chuck Jones. (available here https://youtu.be/D_QhIVYlcmE) When satisfied, I mixed a fresh batch of a Lightnened OD thinned alot, and went in and faded the centers of the panels a bit. What I am trying to do is make each of the layers a filter of lighter and different shades of OD that I think did a pretty good job of replicating weathered faded OD. I will add another coat of clear, to protect the decals, and then apply my wash which will add another filter layer over the paint. I hope it continues to go as well as it has, for the most part I am pleased with the results so far.