GWH 1/48th P-61 Black Widow "Nocturnal Nemesis" Build

Started by Walt · 104 · 2 years ago · 1/48, Great Wall Hobby, GWH, Nocturnal Nemesis, P-61
  • Profile Photo
    Greg Kittinger said 2 years, 10 months ago:

Thanks Walt - always great to pick the brains of fellow modelers about their processes!

• Profile Photo
    Walt said 2 years, 10 months ago:

I was faced with a challenge, the decals for the Checkered Prop Spinner didn't fit the True Details Prop. I tried various masking trying to trace the decal just making it smaller but nothing was right. So I let math take over. I found the diameter divided by eight, giving me the width of each square at the base. I used the height of it to give me the length of the profile. The spinner is not a cylinder or really a triangle so the shape of the template is more like an elongated curved arrowhead. I made the template from a piece of my beer can. I used that to cut four masks per prop, cut horizontally at the correct locations and that gave me my checkerboard pieces. I used Tamiya Tape for the masking medium. It worked out pretty good I think!

5 attached images. Click to enlarge.

• Profile Photo
    Spiros Pendedekas said 2 years, 10 months ago:

Worked great, @luftwaffe-birdman!
    Great process!

• Profile Photo
    Erik Gjørup said 2 years, 10 months ago:

Who would have thought mixing beercans and Tamiya tape would produce such nice results? Looking good @luftwaffe-birdman!

• Profile Photo
    John vd Biggelaar said 2 years, 10 months ago:

A very nice practical approach with great results, Walt.
    Looks perfect this way.

• Profile Photo
    George R Blair Jr said 2 years, 10 months ago:

Your masking on the prop hubs is absolutely brilliant, Walt (@luftwaffe-birdman). If that had happened to me, I think the hubs would have magically turned out to be all red. Great job.

• Profile Photo
    Eric Berg said 2 years, 10 months ago:

I’ll say your technique “worked pretty good”. Bravo. Do you have photos of your beer can template?

• Profile Photo
    Chuck A. Villanueva said 2 years, 10 months ago:

Excellent solution to solve a challenge Walt. The result is more impressive. Thanks for sharing that technique.

• Profile Photo

The template, Eric, @eb801, is in the picture. I took the circumference of the spinner and divided by eight to get the width at the base, then took the height and made that the point. The spinner is not true triangle so you have to draw something more like a spear tip shape to match the peel (if it were a banana) shape. I got lucky and got it pretty right on my first try.

1 attached image. Click to enlarge.

• Profile Photo

Almost done! Landing gear and some final details to go.

1 attached image. Click to enlarge.

• Profile Photo
    John vd Biggelaar said 2 years, 10 months ago:

She is waiting to be displayed, Walt.
    You definitely deserved that beer.

• Profile Photo
    Spiros Pendedekas said 2 years, 10 months ago:

Looking already amazing @luftwaffe-birdman!

• Profile Photo
    Yann Bertholet said 2 years, 10 months ago:

Walt @luftwaffe-birdman, she is just WAW! The paint work on the spinners is stunning! For sure you deserve that beer.

• Profile Photo
    Eric Berg said 2 years, 10 months ago:

Wow! @luftwaffe-birdman. You totally nailed it. Sure lifted my kilt! Salud!