Magic Factory 1/48 F4U-1 Corsair

Started by Tom Cleaver · 36 · 3 months ago
  • Profile Photo
    Tom Cleaver said 6 months ago:

@beauslx - You don't need it. I just cut it off.

• Profile Photo
    Eric Berg said 6 months ago:

Both are good looking Corsairs, TC @tcinla. if I didn’t already have another Tamiya in my stash, I’d definitely would pick up MF’s version just for the sake of trying it.

• Profile Photo
    Tom Cleaver said 6 months ago:

@eb801 - after building them, they are a definite improvement over the Tamiya Corsairs.

The two cockpits have the detail differences for the F4U-1 and F4U-1A. The layout is also more accurate than Tamiya, with the left panel angled - this initially gave me trouble because I made it straight like the Tamiya kits are. When I did it correctly there was no fiddling around to get things right.

The landing gear is far more detailed. The R-2800 is better detailed. The design of the fuselage assembly with the upper and lower insert panels solves all kinds of problems assambling the Tamiya kit presents. All the parts are more detailed and delicate overall - this is because of the improvements of 28 years of molding technology.

Just some thoughts for consideration. Getting the double kit comes out to a per-kit price that is the same as the modern price of the Tamiya Corsairs.

• Profile Photo
    John vd Biggelaar said 6 months ago:

Very niceprogress, Tom @tcinla
    Looking forward to the article on MM.

• Profile Photo
    George R Blair Jr said 6 months ago:

Both models look terrific, Tom (@tcinla). Thanks for the great build info.

• Profile Photo
    Russ King said 3 months, 2 weeks ago:

Looks great. Just started building one of these. Thanks for the review and build tips.