Messerschmitt Bf 109G-6, Hungary V.8 63, Zvezda 1/48

Started by Erik Gjørup · 101 · 1 year ago · 1/48, 109, airbum, Bf109, halfworks, hungary, Messerschmitt, quarterscale, zvezda
  • Profile Photo
    Spiros Pendedekas said 3 years, 4 months ago:

Lovely "76", my friend @airbum!

• Profile Photo
    Erik Gjørup said 3 years, 4 months ago:

Thank you gentlemen.

Eric (@eb801), not entirely sure what it is, but likely to be between the 10th and 20th 109 started in 2020. The 13th overall finished was the Slowak that still needs posting in headlines.
    John (@JohnB), I am slowly learning to be patient and add more thinner layers to get a good result 🙂
    Spiros (@fiveten), that is a nice color indeed.

• Profile Photo
    Erik Gjørup said 3 years, 3 months ago:

And 75 it is!

Finally it got a layer of farbton 75

I masked it the other day, and with a session of airbrushing today, it got its 75

Actually I had two planes to airbrush, and this was first, and I changed the needle to mottle the other plane. With the mottle done I returned to this for another round of 75, so two layers in one session – yayh!

If it is to be masked for the next color, 74, it will take some time before next post, if I decide to go freehand, it will be soon – stay tuned

• Profile Photo
    John vd Biggelaar said 3 years, 3 months ago:

A practicle approach, Erik.
    It looks fine after the second layer.

• Profile Photo

Thanks John (@johnb) - another update is here;

Masked, airbrushed 74, and masks off

I decided to go with ordinary tapemasking again, and so the 75 was masked to airbrush the next color, namely farbton 74.

As mentioned in the Nanzan topic today, the airbrush did put up a fight. Superthin xtracolor did work though.

And the masks were removed – I am always amazed at how fast the xtracolor dries enough to be handled.

And with that it is off to the box to cure before mottling takes place.

I recently bought a scanNcut, and have to decide if I want to try out making masks for the markings – stay tuned!

• Profile Photo
    John vd Biggelaar said 3 years, 3 months ago:

Looking great, Erik @airbum
    Wow, you treated yourself with a very nice tool.
    I guess you mean the Brother tool, it lopks amazing.
    Hope you will use it for the markings.

• Profile Photo

Thank you John (@JohnB). And yes, that is the one, Brother SDX1200. I still have to find some sort of drawing program to use, but so far the few tests I made works fine. It would be super easy to make masks with the scan and cut function, but should I choose to use it, it will be with "homemade" drawings, just for the fun of it - I think 🙂

• Profile Photo
    Spiros Pendedekas said 3 years, 3 months ago:

Congratulations on your new tool, my friend @airbum! It will expand your markings envelope, for sure!
    Your Gustav looks great and cries for some mottling!
    P.S. I am pretty sure I commented on your previous posting...but the "wordpres error" message arrived. I assumed the comment was posted, as it usually does, but no...
    And I did not go back to check...
    Bugs, bugs, bugs...

• Profile Photo

Ahh, well my friend, bugs makes the world a lot more interesting 😉
    By the way Spiros (@fiveten) I just recieved the first mask request from another fellow iModeler, so now I have something to test the new toy on!

• Profile Photo
    George Schembri said 3 years, 3 months ago:

Another great looking 109 in the making Erik!
    And that Brother SDX1200 does look amazing, especially if you can cut masks for markings. What about canopies maybe? - any templates out there?
    Looking forward to see the mottling.

• Profile Photo

Thank you George (@georgeswork). I am afraid you have to make the templates for canupy masks yourself, but with a sharp blade and a few spare canopies (i have a lot by now - for 109's that is) you just cut out the proper panels, mount them on contrasting paper, and then it SHOULD be just a matter of scanning them and asking the cutter to do its work. I have been playing with the toy a bit today, and it wants some rather clear and crisp lines to follow when converting to a file that can be cut.

• Profile Photo

Forgot to add; if you have the correct font for letters it works really well! Great news for the markings that is to be found somewhere. Oh, and I managed to cut a circle on it today!

• Profile Photo

Back on track

After a small diversion on the scanNcut I am back on the 109

As already mentioned in other topics of mine, I had some challenges with my airbrushing. These are now largely overcome, and I got to mottle this one today

Not my worst round of mottle I think

As with another recently mottled 109, this one will probably get some gloss clear before decals, so stay tuned and feel free to comment

• Profile Photo
    Greg Kittinger said 3 years, 3 months ago:

the mottling looks excellent! For my 1/72 builds, I don't know that I feel comfortable freehanding it, so may need to try the flexible mask I bought at the end of last year. I'm planning on purchasing a H&S AB soon that will give me a smaller needle tip, but I don't have it yet...

• Profile Photo
    Spiros Pendedekas said 3 years, 3 months ago:

Mottling looking great, my friend @airbum! Looking forward to your progress!
    Mottling in 1/72 is a definite challenge, my friend @gkittinger. Looking forward to your solution!