Tamiya 1/48 Douglas F4D-1 Skyray

Started by Chuck A. Villanueva · 56 · 4 years ago
  • Profile Photo
    Chuck A. Villanueva said 5 years, 3 months ago:

This is one kit I was looking forward to getting started late in the year. Reading so much positive reviews and beautiful build ups of the Skyray. Some have arguably said that this is the most beautiful plane ever to fly for the Navy and Marines. So with the Beaufighter completed in September, the Skyray was next up on the Tam pile to start on.

So lets take a look what is in the box. Starting with the instruction sheet. The standard instruction fold out sheet with a supplemental insert included.

The decal sheet is pretty nice. Representing one Marine and Navy jet. Rather colorful pair from VF(AW)-3 and VMF(AW)-114. Though I will be using a Super Scale sheet for this build.

An Eduards cockpit zoom set will be used to enhance the cockpit a bit.

The clear sprue is excellent as usual from Tamiya.

The first sprue contains the unique horizontal stabs, cockpit tub, main wheels and intake turbine. Nicely detailed bits.

3 additional images. Click to enlarge.

• Profile Photo
    Louis Gardner said 5 years, 3 months ago:

This is going to be a good one to watch ! Sign me up ... πŸ™‚

• Profile Photo

Raise your right hand!

• Profile Photo
    Harald Sydness said 5 years, 3 months ago:

I completed one about 2 years ago! It is a great kit! I used Furball decals to build an Engine Gray machine, with large yellow and orange parts.

I have another but in 72nd that I will do straight out of the box! Looking forward to seeing your progress!

• Profile Photo

Thx Harold, yes it looks like a good one. Totally forgot about the Furball Decals, will be using an older Super Scale set for a USN bird.

• Profile Photo

As usual I pre painted the interior components with Dk Gull Grey FS36320. The instructions call for an overall Black cockpit. But finding some cockpit pics on the web shows otherwise. Though much of the interior is black.

Step 1 Is removing the cockpit tub from the sprue. And also prep what PE bits I will use to enhance the cockpit a bit.

Starting with a real nice IP. To remove the details so I can attach the PE piece over the kit part. This zoom set is not the pre painted painted variety. So the PE bit is painted black and highlighted with a silver pencil. Before attaching the PE panel. I paint the IP white, attach the clear dials and then the PE panel over that and put it aside to set.

Next is to install the rudder pedals. These are black and wear areas shown with a silver pencil and attached into the tub. I painted the side consoles black using xtracrylic gloss highlight again with silver pencil.

The final part to install is the control stick. Atatched that to it's pedestal. Attach the IP and call it a day . Next is to build the seat and complete the interior. More to follow.

• Profile Photo
    david leigh-smith said 5 years, 3 months ago:

Hey, Chuck. Just posted an article that included the fact that today is the exact day (in 1951) that the Skyray first flew. Congratulations on a great thread, she’s looking terrific already!

• Profile Photo
    Jeff Bailey said 5 years, 3 months ago:

Welcome to iModeler, Harold!
    @hsydness

• Profile Photo

Great lookin' Skyray, Chuck! And, since David posted about the date, this is very timely.
    @uscusn

• Profile Photo

Hi D-L, thanks you know it was, in fact i started back in October, just been behind on posting updates lately.

• Profile Photo

Thanks Jeff, that was a kick to get me to start updating the build which has progressed well so far. Just behind in posting the WIP. D-L's daily journal motivated me to start catching up on the updates. By the way that is so cool in seeing your tank being reproduced.

• Profile Photo
    Greg Kittinger said 5 years, 3 months ago:

Coming along! I have the 1/72 Tamiya kit - some day I'll get to it...

• Profile Photo

Thanks Greg, is the 72nd scale kit rebox from another manufacturer or is it a downsized copy of the 48th scale kit.?

• Profile Photo

It sure is great to see my old Panzer being done - especially by someone as talented as Boris! I bought a Rye Field M1A1 "Desert Storm" model but he will do it SO much better than I can!

• Profile Photo

Hoping to see ya start working on that project.