This is going to be a long-running thread – probably several years. Just in the last week, my juices have been jumped to finally make headway on an ambitious project, and having been a part of the conversation over at David’s (@dirtylittlefokker) iModeler @ The Movies thread, I realized that if I could also include a camaraderie / support component to this project, it might very well help sustain me to the end zone – or at least farther than I might go if traveling alone!
So I’m inviting you in for a loooonnnnggg ride, and one that I hope you’ll help me with. To wit:
The F-4 Phantom II is my favorite subject, and I have more Phantom kits in my stash than any other model. My goal has always been to build at least one of every foreign operator of the airframe, as well as a representative sampling of all the US versions. Here is the list from my project spreadsheet showing my current inventory and intended projects (the green lines are already finished projects):
In addition, I’m still sourcing for the following (some I’ve already ordered):
• Greek E / RF-E, in Aegean Blue
• Egyptian E in Egyptian Ghost scheme
• Australian E
• USAF ANG C/D in light grey scheme
• UK FG.1 / K (RN)
I’m already committed to an F-4EJ Kai for our clubs 2020 contest theme build (Made In Japan), and I’ve bought paint for the Israeli and Greek Aegean Ghost subjects. I’m also eager to launch the Egyptian Ghost (but need some help…).
As soon as I wrap up the Tony I’m working on now, and set up my airbrush to finish the Pe-2, PBJ, and Vindicator that are all primed and masked, I’ll pop the lid on the Kai, and possibly the Israeli and Greek Ghost projects. I’d thought I’d use Louis Gardner’s (@lgardner) “iron works” assembly process for groups of kits – maybe 3 at a time, then intersperse some other projects in between each group so as not to get stale with Phantoms.
Got a few questions that I’d like any help you can provide:
1. For metal, I’ve been spraying rattle can Model Master Metalizer, but it is fragile to work with, hard to mask, etc. Since I’m cranking up an airbrush for the first time, I’d like some recommendations for a hardy line of metal paints (besides Alclad), with some tips on how to work with them.
2. I haven’t been able to locate anything other than a couple of indistinct pictures of the F-4 in Egyptian Ghost disruptive scheme. If anyone has any research related to the colors used, and even the pattern, I’d love it!
3. For the Kai bird, I’m doing the Oceanic scheme, and I secured a set of markings and stencils that are dry transfers – first time I’ve used this type of decal. Has anyone else used dry transfers, and have any tips or warnings?
That’s all for now, other than one last word of warning. I do not have the wit nor creativity to mimic the inimitable David Leigh-Smith! However, if he (and all other like-minded conversationalists/model pundits) show up in spades, this could be a nice long relational ride, no thanks to me!! Such is my hope…