World of Phantoms – 1/72

Started by Greg Kittinger · 125 · 2 years ago · 1/72, Collection, f-4, Phantom, rhino
  • Profile Photo
    Greg Kittinger said 3 years, 9 months ago:

Robert @roofrat - do you have a reference photo or two of the triple-gun bird? I'd love to make one of those too! UPDATE - I found a couple pics of the famed tri-gunned Marine bird, and found a decal set by CAM decals. I found what I think is a German site that had the set in stock, but couldn't make it work to process an order. Hannants had them in their catalogue to back order, so I'll try that. While I was looking for images, I also found a tri-gunned F-4E - Chico the Gunfighter! Two gun pods along with the nose gun, used as a unique "FAST fac" gun ship. Found a set of decals on ebay, an they are ordered and on the way! I love unique birds, and I think both of these qualify - especially for my Phantom collection.

3 attached images. Click to enlarge.

• Profile Photo
    Erik Gjørup said 3 years, 9 months ago:

@gkittinger, flak hits might be an explanation too, but as you point out we go with the explanation from @kalamazoo. Actually not a bad idea at all. I have been thinking of something similar, only I thought of using the exhaust if ever I should go for a Düsenjäger one day.

• Profile Photo

@airbum, I've done only one exhaust-mounted bird - an F-105 that was so heavily laden that there was really no place to insert the rod through the fuselage. Although it looks good that way, there were two things I didn't like about it: 1) I had to take more time to revise the wooden base, to add a piece on the back end to allow the whole thing to give me the angle of flight I wanted - time taken away from actually building a model!, and 2) it takes up more room in my display cases, which is in short supply!

• Profile Photo
    Robert Royes said 3 years, 9 months ago:

Here's the only actual photo of the triple podded mud mover that I've found.The decals are hard to find Hannet, 1001 kits and a German site I found were all out of stock of the 1/72 CAM. Fox One produced it too, but their out of business, theirs was one available on ebay recently, but they want 40.00 US for it. To rich for my blood. That USAF bird is interesting. @gkittinger.

1 attached image. Click to enlarge.

• Profile Photo
    James Shepherd said 3 years, 9 months ago:

This should result in a terrific collection along one theme, keep at it!

Afraid my butterfly attention span prevents me from doing anything as ambitious as this, I go off into something else at the drop of a hat.

• Profile Photo
    George R Blair Jr said 3 years, 9 months ago:

A triple-gunned F-4 is interesting. Decals sometimes end up being a quest. I get this really good idea and off I go on a duck hunt to find the decals. Using my wife's Scan and Cut machine to make my own masks helps sometimes, if the markings aren't too complex. Have you tried the Fantasy Printshop in England for the decals? I have had some good luck finding things there. I'm looking forward to seeing your air phleet of Phantoms after you have done a few dozen. It will be impressive. I built a lot of Phantoms when I was graduating from pilot training. My classmates found out I built models, and a bunch of them asked me to build models of the planes they got for their first assignment. In the mid-70s, a lot of them were F-4Cs, along with some F-105s, and a few A-7s. I got where I could build Phantoms in my sleep. You will be there soon, if not already.

• Profile Photo

@roofrat - thanks for the pic! I also tried all those looking for the CAM decals. The Fox One on ebay were 1/48, so I passed (though $40 was more than I'd pay for most decals as well). I'm praying CAM reissues their sheet - have one backordered at Hannants...

• Profile Photo
    Greg Kittinger said 3 years, 8 months ago:

I thought I would post one photo of the completed Kurnass 2000 in this WIP thread - another Phantom done, and decals on hand for the next three (Chico the Gunfighter, an EF-4C Wild Weasel, and a 3-gunned F-4B Marine bird). Full post and pics for the Kurnass 2000 is here: https://imodeler.com/2020/08/1-72-hasegawa-f-4e-phantom-ii-kurnass-2000/

1 attached image. Click to enlarge.

• Profile Photo
    Robert Royes said 3 years, 8 months ago:

Phar out!

• Profile Photo
    Erik Gjørup said 3 years, 8 months ago:

Phine Phlying-pose Phantom

• Profile Photo
    Greg Kittinger said 3 years, 6 months ago:

I'm moving this week and all models and modeling support systems are packed and ready for transit, BUT that doesn't stop me from visiting eBay (much to my wife's chagrin). I saw a lot this weekend of 16 1/72 Phantoms, and to make a long story short I won the auction by about 50 cents! So, I've got 16 more kits to come up with schemes to fit nicely into the now 60+ Phantom project!

• Profile Photo
    John vd Biggelaar said 3 years, 6 months ago:

Only moving the Phantoms is already a day work, Greg.
    Good luck on your move and looking forward to your growing amount of Phantoms.

• Profile Photo
    Spiros Pendedekas said 3 years, 6 months ago:

Wow, you are a dedicated Phanatic, Greg @gkittinger!
    16 1/72 Phantoms won in auction? I love it!
    PS I know such cases have a low WAF (Wife Acceptance Factor), somehow we all have all established tricks to handle such situations - lol!

• Profile Photo
    Erik Gjørup said 3 years, 6 months ago:

Great news - keep them comin' when settled!

• Profile Photo
    George R Blair Jr said 3 years, 6 months ago:

You are a true multi-tasker, Greg (@gkittinger). Moving and bidding and keeping up with iModeler. You can never have too few Phantoms!