Dozer in Decline-An Experiment in Weathering
June 23, 2015 in Diorama
I scratch built this crawler tractor a few years ago for display on my outdoor train layout. For some reason I wasn’t pleased with it’s “look” and it sat on a shelf with all my jars of nails and screws. As time went on the model took a few swan dives off the shelf to the work bench and bits and pieces fell away from the rest of the model. Last winter (after the model’s 12th or so crash on the bench) I decided to repair it and experiment with an air brush weathering technique. There are a good number of internet “how to weather” articles and, after viewing a few, I felt this “dozer” was a safe choice if my tecnique went wrong. I photographed each step, made all sorts of notes and was satisfied with it’s look. As I cleared off the work bench for my next project, I managed to toss my notes in the trash and have a vague idea of how I arrived at this weathered “finish”. The tractor was already sprayed gray so I airbrushed a mix of flat red and flat brown as a “rust base”. Next I sprayed the entire model with cheap aerosol hair spray. It wasn’t even “dry” and I airbrushed a flat yellow on the model. Using a hair dryer I “expedited” the drying time of the yellow paint. I think I counted to 60 and immediately began removing the yellow paint with an old tooth brush dipped in mineral spirits. I alternated scrubbing from top to bottom, allowing the paint to dry in certain areas a little longer. I then did some dry brushing with acrylic paints to bring out a few details. One of these days I’m going to try a ship model with this method, hopefully I won’t “go overboard” with the weathering.
9 additional images. Click to enlarge