Yoo-hoo?! No, Uhu.
My newest archiving addition is the 1/48 Tamiya He-219 Uhu. I got this kit pretty cheap from a vendor at a local contest. A couple pieces were broken but, nothing too difficult to fix. I am a modeler after all 😉. The kit, as most Tamiya kits do, went together extremely well. Probably most of you know the cockpit tub/forward landing gear bay is a single piece cast in metal. It fit perfectly and solves the problem of weighting the nose to avoid tail sitting.
The biggest challenge with this one is the camo scheme. Taking a cue from one of Tom Cleaver’s articles at another site, I painted the bottom RLM 76 and the top RLM 75. After the paint was dry, I went over the darker RLM 75 with the lighter 76 creating the mottled look. I painted one wing starting at the tip to the center of the fuselage one evening, the other wing the same way the next night, the forward fuselage on the third night and finally the rear fuselage and empennage the fourth night. Whew!
I do think it turned out pretty well if I do say so myself.
6 additional images. Click to enlarge.