Hasegawa 1/72 Jaguar GR. Mk. 1A – Operation Granby / Desert Storm
Finished this morning. The only modifications were: Drill out the area for the nose lens and added clear sprue sanded to shape, with a depression painted sliver for the lens; drilled extra gun exhaust holes; drilled out the airbrakes and detailed the inner portion of them; drilled the sidewinder exhausts; and added PE sway braces to the outer pylons (this was a last minute decision, so failed to do so on the wing tank pylons…decided not to try to do the extra work to add those also after the fact).
I didn’t really want to display with airbrakes open, but as with many old kits that are designed to build this way, they just didn’t fit well at all closed and I felt it would be more work to get them to look good closed.
There were plenty of good photos of Op Granby Jags, and I mixed a custom color to get the desert pink scheme (used Vallejo Model Color paints). I used the green/grey for the paint chipping, except around the intakes. Several reference photos showed the underlying zinc chromate color there.
As mentioned in the Year Of The Cat group build thread, I only used panel wash for the control surfaces. I then used the CreateFX enamel stain (2 colors) for some of the staining around panel lines, airbrakes, ventral fins, etc. per reference photos. I then highlighted all other panel lines with pastel chalks, and used additional pastels for overall grunge. Underneath I used some Tensocrom, more CreateFX stain, and Tamiya weathering sets. Tamiya weathering sets also for the metal work and jet pipes.
All in all, I’m pleased with the outcome. I tried a different lighting scheme (used some video lights with a chimera) but it didn’t really seem to help until I repositioned the light (some of the earlier photos). Hope to do better next time.
19 additional images. Click to enlarge.