HMB Endeavour Diorama Project
This is a project I've been working on a couple of months now. It's Mantua's 1/60 model of the Bark Endeavour, which I'm developing into a diorama.
I bought the kit in an online auction for £30; it still retails for £160+ so it may seem like a good deal. However, the kit had been in someone's loft (attic) since 1986 and a lot of it was missing. The plans were glued together in places, torn apart, and generally in poor condition. I found that duplicate plans were available and bought these as a way forward. I was surprised to find that the Mantua 1986 plans were wholly different from the later version (circa 2006). I also had the Anatomy of a Ship book of the Endeavour, which differed again from the two sets of plans.
Whoever had started the kit had glued the transoms to the false keel, and set the deck boarding in place, some of the later being installed upside down, which may not seem to be an issue, but there are openings that have to be in certain locations, and weren't. In the final photo here a few discrepancies can be seen, and the gratings across the openings are repeated in both sets of plans but are factually incorrect.
Further, the original modeller had attempted to plank the hull, which was a single-plank operation and so had to be a pristine finish. Unfortunately this was not the case. There was considerable gapping between planks and the work had ceased as it approached the bow. I think this may have been the point where the model was abandoned.
I completed the first hull planking to achieve the correct lines and curves and then second-planked the ship with a good quality walnut strip. From there, it's been a case of mix-and-match, deciding what could be left out and what retained. In the latter case I've purchased various aftermarket accessories to add the necessary detail, at least to a degree. Because of certain imperfections in the design of the kit itself, some things aren't possible to amend/improve. I also planked the decks at this stage and added trenails details.
The project is a diorama. HMB Endeavour began as the collier The Earl of Pembroke along the Northumberland coast in the mid-18th century. The Admiralty purchased the ship and refitted it at Deptford in 1786 for the Cook Expedition. My project will show the ship during the conversion process, in drydock, surrounded in scaffolding and so forth, with a few dozen figures attending to various aspects of the refit. With this as the scenario, the ship won't be completed as a standard three-mast vessel. Some areas will be complete, others not. Some basic rigging in place, but not much else.
I'm still working on the deck furniture, but again I'm now in a position that I have to decide what to show as complete, and what will be in progress. Probably another month or two on the ship itself, before I begin the diorama part of the build.
The gloss varnish finishes are simply a brush-applied hardshell gloss to protect the paintwork, and the model will be sprayed with a matt varnish in due course.
You may notice the brown hull. Hulls at this time were coated in either "the white stuff" (train oil, resin and sulphur) or "the brown stuff" (tar, pitch and sulphur). The white stuff being more expensive, it was used less widely. However, the example of model ships' hulls finished in white is something that has persisted, although in practice not generally correct.
Although this is effectively a WiP post, I'm not listing it elsewhere as such, as the nature of the work doesn't merit such an intense photo record.
The next post will be of the completed project, but there's no timeline for it at present.
8 additional images. Click to enlarge.