Douglas BD-2 Navy two-engine utility
This is my first post on Imodeler. I recently finished this AMT 1/48 scale Douglas BD-2 (A20) Havoc. It is based on a photo of an actual aircraft (Bu 7095). The Navy took possession of several A20's from the Army and used them for target tugs. This particular one is from an experimental unit that was apparently testing the Havoc as a torpedo bomber. This is my first attempt ever at custom decals. Using Testers clear and white blank sheets, I created the Daisy Mae decal as well as the squadron numbers and tail numbers. Since I was short of Stars and Bars I created them as well. Hope you like it.
🙂 … Greetings … 🙂 :
Welcome to this forum Robert, nice clean work on that A-20.
Damn...DE4EVER said exactly what I was gonna say - word for word. 🙁
very pretty and outside the box bob
It is a real crying shame that AMT gave up on making more aircraft models. There A-20 series given, it's age is still a solid model. I never knew the Navy flew the type. I know Howard Hughes had one and converted into a executive transport. Neat little article and build.
Robert, when you got it flaunt it. A few more photos showing your gifts and talents would be appreciated.
Looking forward to seeing more of your work.
Thanks, Steven. I have a photo of Daisy Mae in medium blue over gray, as well as a photo of another one, Lil Abner, in medium blue over gray. If I run across another A-20 model I might do one of those. Right now I'm finishing up a XJD-1 (A-26) in target tug colors, will post photos soon.
Very nice Robert and well done with the decals. Love the oddball stuff. I converted a Monogram 1:48 B-26 to a navy JM-1 (somewhere on this site) The only area I failed was the rear clear parts that are different on the real aircraft. Going to try and find a BD-2 without fancy artwork.
Thanks, George. I saw your JM-1, it was the photo that lead me to iModeler.com! I want to add a JM-1 to my collection and I think you did a great job on the yellow on yours. I'm thinking I might go with natural metal on a JM-1, as I found the yellow to be a challenge on my XJD-1. I have a photo of a natural metal JM-1, but I don't know what to do about the modified tail...
Great build, Robert. I like ‘clean’ builds and this is very well done - great work on the decals.
Thanks for posting that BD-2 build...it's something of a rare sight to see one of those modeled. You did a nice job with the 'custom' decals too. I look forward to seeing more of your work.
Nicely done Robert, one of my favorite A/C. Have done several and they're posted on this site. Welcome to iModeler, you'll find it's a friendly place to view exceptional work as well as make new friends.
Nice build and different scheme! I've also used Testors decal product, works pretty well, their bonder spray is good for restoring old decals too. Welcome!
Great work! Allways interesting to see subjects build which are not often seen. Lovely work with the decals. And welcome to iModeler.
Welcome! I always enjoy an unusual take on a subject, and this fits the bill. Nice work.