Profile Photo
17 articles

Messerschmitt BF109 E3

January 30, 2019 · in Aviation · · 10 · 1.5K

Had some fun with this model creating some scratch elements in the cockpit and trying to have the window open without any ugly support.

I used AK Interactive colors (New formula AK02001). Actually quite good and really easy to apply. The set also includes various RLM tones. However this paint is a bit thick and have to be thinned for the camo, plus you have to use the proper thinner from AK for this particular new formula.

Again issues with decals; sizes of the fuselage and wings crosses were completely wrong; thanks :-/ So I created masks from scratch. Fortunately the deco of the Luftwaffe is quite simple to reproduce ๐Ÿ˜›

Happy modeling!

Reader reactions:
9ย  Awesome

16 additional images. Click to enlarge.

10 responses

  1. Alex, what a nice Emil! Good painting and weathering. Tamiya 109E is still an excellent kit, I made 3 of them and all were great fun. The only thing I would suggest is the photo light, they are strong on the dark side, like Vader would say ๐Ÿ˜‰

  2. That dark background makes the -109 appear even MORE "sinister" - ๐Ÿ™‚

  3. Nicely done Alex, she looks great.

  4. Great build and I agree that the dark setting give it an ominous look. Really cool photos.

  5. Great mottling and weathering/wear marks. You should perhaps check your references on the location of the RT aerial lead into the fuselage which should be in line with the radio compartment. Nevertheless, it's a great looking Emil. Paul

    2 attached images. Click to enlarge.

    • Hi Paul,
      Actually I did but I maybe got bad references. Absolutely, I have to improve here and to be more careful about those details. Many thanks for your advice.

  6. Very nice looking 109

  7. Beautiful finish on that Alex!

Leave a Reply