IJN Destroyer Asashio 1/700 Hasegawa
Hello fellow modelers,
This is the IJN Destroyer Asashio, my 5th attempt at 1/700 scale modelling.
My first three 1/700 builds were just straight out of the box build, then I discovered the wonderful world of aftermarket super detailed PE sets, so I brought a full detailed Aoba set by Rainbow for a hasegawa kit. Unfortunately it turned into a disaster because I dropped it upside down from desk height… It was a traumatic experience when you see your hard work turned into a pile of unrecoverable plastic and brass. But on the bright side, I had all these unused PE parts for IJN ship.
3 years has passed, when I saw this little kit on sale in the hobby store I gathered my courage to build another 1/700 scale ship in hope of using those left over PE parts that’s been haunting me in my model stash.
I’m still at the stage trying to prefect my skills working with PE parts, so I didn’t pursue on historical accuracy. E.g. the funnel shroud was made using one of those IJN motor boat cage, so it doesn’t have the correct pattern; the skid beams are made out of ladders with railings cut off; the AA gun railings shouldn’t be that high etc etc.
Anyway, learned from my past mistake, the first thing I did was to drill 3 holes in the waterline plate, and attach some screws to secure it in a plastic case. Then I could use those large clips to clip onto two of the screws and hold it very securely in hand. I found it also prevent the bow or stern from ‘lifting up’ caused by the bend in plastic.
The case also worked as a nice ‘perimeter’ that tell my big hands to be careful when entering it.
The biggest challenge for me is the twin type 96 AA gun. They were left over from the Aoba set. I really thought I’m going to be blind after that. By miracle, I only screwed up 1 out of the 3 left over, and this ship only need two.
One thing that turned out great I think is the paravane crane. They are made from IJN ship float plane’s support ‘crate’ thing that go on top of the float plane cart, I just cut them in half and place the halfs on top of each other and they create this perfect X structure and it fit on top of the existing plastic so it’s very secure too.
Otherwise I think it’s a successful build, maybe one day when I learn how to make water I can turn it into a diorama.
I also want to thank Ebroin Song because I watched his video and I learned many nice techniques.
I been following this website for awhile, i’m glad i have something to share with now!
[EDIT] I replaced the first few pictures to new ones which is after updated the riggings. The old rigging had a weird triangle, now it’s more natural. I also painted some rigging lines to tan color to be more accurate.
17 additional images. Click to enlarge.