1/48 Spitfire Mk XIVe , 402 Squadron, RCAF
1/48 Spitfire Mk XIVe ‘Highback”, 402 Squadron, March, 1945
I’ve finished a Spitfire XIVe highback by converting the Airfix 1/48 Spit XIX without kitbashing. I realize there were easier ways to get there, but I purchased the kit and parts when these were the only options, so I may as well use them.
I used the Airfix 1/48 Mk XIX, Barracudacast 4 spoke wheels, and cylinder head covers (to correct the short kit covers), Ultracast’s Spitfire seat with late harness, access door, and Mk XIVe cannon barrels. I also used Quickboost’s Gyro gunsight and Mike Grant instrument decals,
I filled the unwanted panel lines and blisters/intakes and camera ports with Zap glue and talc, Millput, or scrap plastic. I shortened the ailerons, scribed the appropriate panel lines, and added the blisters from stretched sprue, reprofiled Eduard FW-190 bombs, and cannon bases from aluminum tubing.
For the vacuform canopy, I added inner framework from strip, guide rails for the sliding section (it actually slides open and closed on the tracks) and the emergency canopy release’s from brass wire, blobs of 5 minute epoxy, and strip.
I scratch built the inner fuselage lower section to cover the wing root cavities, drilled out the lightening holes in the cockpit frames, opened up the rear bulkhead, opened the access door, built up the aft fixed canopy sill, replaced the cylinder head covers with the Barracudacast parts, and drilled out the exhaust, torque links and tie down point.
Paints used are Tamiya acrylics, and weathered with Humbrol enamels, and pastel chalks. Decals I’ve used are Xtradecals 48130 Spit Mks XIV-XVIII, Aviaeology A0D48C05 Serial No.s, andA0D48009m Stencils.
Thanks for looking, hope you like.
Link to build log –
17 additional images. Click to enlarge.