Mitsubishi Betty G4M1 Type 11
Based on various references I gathered and document I read, I learned that the paint quality in Japan during WWII was really low. As a result, Japanese fighters and bombers looked quickly quite skinned.
That was a perfect chipping exercise, plus for this model, I used only decals for the identification (K-310), the rest was done with patience and masking. So the tricky part here was to be able to match the chipping on the various paint layers and try to avoid inconsistencies of having a top layer none chipped when the bottom layer was (hope my sentence makes sense ;-P).
For the bare aluminum base coat, I used AK-Interactive Extreme Metal followed by a satin varnish. Metallic paints remain quite fragile; it is imperative to protect them with varnish to avoid bad sleep and nightmares.
Then I used the chipping fluid from Ammo Mig followed with a coat of classic Tamiya paints. And I repeated the process for all paint layers.
I also tried to simulate the skin stress, but after all the painting work and chipping the effect has completely disappeared (sic!).
I lot of scratch builds in the cockpit, but quite difficult to see once finally assembled. But I know it is there 😉
I applied color filters with a mix of Abteilung 502 oil paints. And then used ochre to simulate the typical red soil you can find in many places in the Southern Pacific. (my white pants still remember it :-D)
This is definitely not the most detailed kit from Tamiya, but I really learned a lot about painting the freehand camo and managing chipping effects.
17 additional images. Click to enlarge.