F-104G Luftwaffe Starfighter – Hasegawa 1/72
I finally found the missing gas tank behind a book shelf!
I actually completed this build about 9 months ago but could not find the starboard wing gas tank which was found just a few days ago as I did some rearranging of shelving.
This was one of my first full acrylic paint project when I was getting back into the hobby in the last year.
The kit is the great Hasegawa 1/72 Kit # 1002 F-104G Luftwaffe/Marineflieger with excellent recessed panel lines, great part count and excellent fitting.
I chose the Olive/Grey camo scheme of JBG31 has always been a scheme that I have always liked.
This was a ‘used’ kit I purchased which had most of its fuselage assembled, I figured it would be great practice and if things did not work out I’d have a few spare parts.
Using Tamiya X-11 Silver, XF-58 Olive Green & XF-53 Neutral Grey for paints and thinning with X20A.
Also used XF-21 Sky for the front radome. I had to mix my own Orange, mixing Insignia Yellow and Italian Red to get the required tone.
All sprayed with my ancient Paasche external mix airbrush ( I did get a new H-1 tip after this build)
I did notice the rear stabilizer is actually painted backwards as I accidentally flipped the symmetrical piece while I did the masking – oops!
The kit decals were THICK and had some yellowing, sun bleaching helped reduce the yellow tint.
Future before decaling – I had some of the decals pull the paint, I must have applied the decals too early on the water based acrylic. I few touch ups corrected the hairline cracks and then used Micro Satin to finish.
I also did a little update on my old ESCI Kit 9044 – Getting too close to an incandescent bulb one day resulted in the ESCI plane having its stabilizer being warped. Having an extra part meant I could get that painted and replaced.
The two F-104’s now sit together.
9 additional images. Click to enlarge.