Gee Bee R1, 1/48 Dora Wings
This time I am presenting you quite a quick project, given that I managed to complete it in less than two months. I started the Dora Wings model for the first time and I have to say that I am satisfied with the quality of the product, although more corrections were needed than I would have expected at first. The packaging itself already contains some photo-etched parts, masks for clear parts (which I didn't use myself) and for the paint scheme, and above all I have to praise the excellent decals.
As I mentioned before, quite a few corrections were needed, as the stringers on the fuselage were too bold, also I wouldn’t exactly praise the joint between the fuselage and the wings. In my opinion, the biggest problem is the canopy, as in the first phase it is made of two parts, and the second bigger problem is that the shape of the frame is wrong, so I decided to make a new one myself.
As far as painting is concerned, masks come in very handy, as masking alone would be very time consuming. The decals are, as I mentioned earlier, fantastic, very thin and after application the carrier film is practically invisible.
For some extra spice, I added a figure from Verlinden Productions - US Navy Pilots, which I had to rework a bit.
9 additional images. Click to enlarge.